Chapter 57

Kirsnick

I didn't realize that I was holding my breath until I started getting dizzy. I released my breath slowly. It wasn't me, he didn't shot me. I looked around the room and everyone was still standing where they had been before the gunshot. I took two small steps to the right and I could see her. The front of her shirt and her face were all covered in blood and from where I stood I could see her struggling for every breath she took.

"Yvonne," I said to her.

"Gotta tie up the loose strings before I go." he said. "She was the only one here who knows my real name." he looked over at me and shrugged.

I saw her suck in a deep breath and she stopped moving completely. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Nothing," he said. "It aint a damn thing wrong with me. You don't recognize me?"

"What?" I asked.

"I'm you," he replied. "What you would have been it you and your potnas wouldn't have gotten lucky and got rich."

"Man-"

"I am the life that you left behind for the lap of luxury." he said. "If you would have never got rich, you would have ended up just like me."

"Never," I said. "you're evil."

He smiled. "In the flesh." he adjusted the bag on his shoulder and started toward the front door.

They just left me there. I walked over to where she lay on the floor. "Yvonne," I called out to her. She didn't move, her eyes were glossy and there were tears brimmed in the corners of her eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm so fucking sorry."

She suddenly drew in a deep breath. "don't,"

"Yvonne, we gonna get you some help and-"

"don't...let that bitch.... get away." she snarled. She grabbed my hand and held it tightly.

"I won't," I said to her.

"Take care.......take-"

"I will please...pleeeease don't do this. I can call somebody and get you to the hospital-"

"I lived...." she said with a small smile.

Her grip on my hand loosened. "Yvonne!"

"Thank you," was all that she said in reply and she let out her last ragged breath. He phone started to ring and I pulled it from my pocket before reading the name on the screen.

"Everybody waiting what happened?" Quavo asked.

"Send em in," he said

"What?" he asked.

"Man, tell them niggas they better not let him make it out this neighborhood." I hung up the phone and dropped it down on the floor. I don't know how long I was sitting there, I guess i was zoned out but I was snapped back into reality by the sound of gunshots in the distance. '

"You gotta go take, you gotta go." I said to myself as I got to my feet. I looked around the room and grabbed my phone and looked around to make sure I hadn't touched anything. I found a towel nearby a smeared my fingerprint that were left in the blood on the floor them stuck the towel in my pocket and went out the back door of the house. I could hear sirens in the distance and that meant that I just needed to get out of here and back to where I was supposed to be.

3 days later

I looked around at the dull gray walls of the interrogations room, then over the table at the detective on the other side. He frowned and then flipped open a folder inside where a bunch of pictures. Pictures of Yvonne, and then pictures of the car that he was taking to the airport. I had to stop myself from smiling when I saw the black truck filled with bullet holes.

"So, none of this looks familiar to you?" he asked me.

"This," I grabbed one of the pictures. "Is my mother-in-law. My wife never talked too much about her but she said that she had a drug problem. She came to live with us for a while but got up in the middle of the night and left."

"So, you haven't seen her since she left."

"that's right," I replied.

"And you expect us to believe that?" I looked over at his partner who had been passing the floor behind the detective as he was questioning me.

"You can believe whatever you want?" I spoke.

"So, your kids get kidnapped and held for ransom." he walked over to the chair and sat down. "Then all of a sudden they're returned, the guy who took them and all of his associates shot dead in broad daylight, your mother-in-law is murders in his home and you don't have any knowledge of it."

"None." I replied.

He sucked in a deep breath. I could tell he don't believe me but they couldn't hold me because they had nothing on me. No finger prints, no phone calls. we hired some young niggas from the same neighborhood to take dude out and told them they could have whatever they found in the truck; Money, jewelry, and any drugs, but they had to turn off and bring us every single phone they found. They searching my shit for messages and calls but the phone I used to talk to him along with all of the other ones was turned off, broken, and taken to a safe spot.

"Can I go home," I asked them. "i got a grieving wife at home and our kids are still getting used to being at home after everything that happened. I really have more important places to be."

"you're right," the detective said. He gathered his things from the table and stood up. He got up behind him and headed out the door. "Well, keep you updated with the investigation of your mother in laws murder." he said.

I nodded. "Thank you." was all that I said to him before heading out the door and quickly making my way to my car.

When I got home y/n was waiting for me, I picked Kj up as I came through the front door and placed him down in the middle of the living room where Dior was playing. "How was it." she asked.

"They just asked me questions and showed me pictures," I said. "They don't have a clue what happened."

"Yeah," she said quietly before going silent.

"You, okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good," she looked over at me and smiled. "i needed to talk to you actually."

"you're not pregnant again, are you?" I asked her.

"No man," she rolled her eyes.

All of a sudden Dior let out an excited squeal. "I looked over and there was what looked like a rat running around her feet.

"What the hell is that?" I asked looking over at y/n.

She smiled. "We got a dog."

"From where?"

"In the parking lot on the grocery store." she replied. She got up and grabbed the dog from the floor and brought it over to me. The tiny white dog was obviously a mut, but it was kind of cute. "We named him Charles."

"Charles?" I asked.

"The kids picked the name please be nice." she said quickly. All I could do was laugh. She was sad about her mom but it was something that she had prepared herself for many years ago.

"What you laughing at?" she asked as she placed the puppy on the floor. it was like all at once a feeling of peace washed over me and it felt like i was right where i was supposed to be. 

"I love you; you know that right?" I asked her.

She looked up at me and smiled. "Yeah, I know. i love you too." 

The End