Chapter Two: Season One

Chapter two: Season One

It is a special day for Ubbe and Hvitserk. They are going on their first raid with their father. Aslang was against this idea, but I knew Ubbe and particularly Hvitserk wanted this time with their father. For the next few months, it’ll just be me and two younger sons of Ragnar. It was an exciting time, they will be going to Frankia. 

I’m a young lady now. I surpassed Gyda’s age by two. I understand the concept of marriage now and how important it is. According to Ragnar, I’m still too young to marry.  Ragnar would not allow her to marry that young. Ubbe might be younger than me, but his height begs to differ from his age. Hvitserk is only slightly shorter than Ubbe. Hvitserk is still adventurous, we bond during our hikes more than I do with Sigurd.  

I have a very special bond with Sigurd. Sigurd has a thing for music. He likes to hum and bang his spoons on the table. He likes wildflowers and he likes to hear me sing. Even though I do not have a beautiful singing voice, he sits with amazement and listens to me. His snake-eye has become him, and although it is unsettling and it makes him feel insecure. I remind him how beautiful he looks with the candle light against his skin. The beautiful Prince of Kattegat. 

The last son of Ragnar was born not long after Sigurd. Sigurd is closer in age with his younger brother. Ivar. Ivar the Boneless. Ivar was born with a particular disease. His legs are well-boneless. At first, Siggy and Ragnar wanted to kill the infant: saving him from a lifetime of pain, but Ragnar had a change of heart. 

Aslang suddenly became a mother and began to care for the infant full time. As Ivar grew, his legs would bring him such violent pain. His cries could be heard throughout Kattegat. There was nothing we could do, except wait for his cries to put him to sleep. Peace and quiet became a luxury to have in the Great Hall.

 Despite it all, Ivar grew into a beauti-...Ivar grew into a swee-...Ivar grew nicely. He is much more feisty than Hvitserk. He is almost deviant, making it hard to love him. Aslang condones his evil personality. He has piercing blue eyes that turn very blue sometimes. It means he could be in great danger of breaking his legs. Although, that never stopped Ivar from being a child.  

After we saw Ragnar off, we went back to the Great Hall. Aslang involves me in almost all of the family events. Except for the birth of Ivar. She feared seeing Ivar’s state would scare me too much. It was time for lunch and I made the boys’ favorite. Sigurd smiled, his cheeks turned red as he happily picked up the spoon. Ivar on the other hand, sat with his arms crossed and he slouched down.

“I don’t want this!” Ivar hissed. He took after his mother. He had a snake tongue and intense eyes. His eyes can pierce through a person. I try not to stare into them. 

“It’s what your mother wants for you,” I lied. “Eat.”

Ivar violently pushed the bowl, making the contents fall out of it. Sigurd sat and stared at him. 

“What are you looking at?” Ivar hissed again.

“Stop being so cruel to her.” 

“Why does it bother you?” Ivar asked Sigurd.

“Yes.”

Ivar then stuck his tongue out. I scoffed, coming in between them. I scooped the contents into my hands and put it in front of Ivar’s face. 

“Stop being mean to your brother, at the end, you are all that you have.” “You would have to learn how to love each other.”

Sigurd’s and Ivar’s expressions harden against me. They didn’t like what I said.

Ivar took his small knife and was ready to throw it. I took it right away and kneeled down. I was frightened, but I reminded myself that his behavior is not his fault. I know Sigurd must think I’m crazy for showing my calm sympathy, but I know he does not understand either.