Chapter Five: Season One

Chapter five: Season 1

Despite Ivar’s innocent accident, Aslang continues to make me her favorite. She has promoted me above everyone to take care of her boys, closely and personally. It was genuine. Who else knows the boys more than me? I know everything about them. Including Ivar, despite him being depicted as a monster. I don’t see a monster, at least I try not to. 

Although, this is Aslang. A daughter of Loki as I personally like to think of her. This could be a dirty little trick of hers. She wants me to slip up. She waits for me in the shadows to say something mean or talk down to the younger ones. Even if Ivar spills the flour or if Hvitserk runs out of the Great Hall, I do not raise my voice and I do not yell. I came to learn to relax and learn that they are boys without parental guidance. While I feel like I failed them, I also know I cannot be a parent when I’m not older than Ubbe.

To praise the boys even with their misdeeds is the only way to secure my spot with Aslang. Most people would’ve run away from this and start a new life then deal with Aslang. Kattegat is my home, though and my mother is here and she will be all alone if I leave. I could probably make it out of Kattegat, but I choose to stay otherwise. 

Today was another quiet day at the Great Hall with the boys. Aslang was close by listening to us as we all played together. Ubbe playfully smacked me over the head as I got up to chase him. My heavy feet with my boots stomped against the floor. I grabbed him by the arm and pulled him to me. He quickly tore himself from me. 

I laughed as he continued to run, Sigurd then came up to me with his instrument and began to play for me. It’s a soothing tune that had my ears. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Aslang’s lips form a small smile that quivered. She seemed to enjoy his music. 

“Sigrun?” Sigurd asked.

“Yes?”

“Do you think I will make a great King?” He asked. I pulled him to me and hugged him. 

“You have a good advantage to be King and if you are, you’ll be a justful King.” Sigurd smiled and placed a kiss on my hand.

“Maybe you can be Queen…” 

“Sigurd will not be King…” Aslang interrupted the sweet moment with anger. Her lips hid behind her teeth.

“Aslang?” 

“He will be killed by Ivar…” She glanced up at Ivar as he sat on the bench. Sigurd gripped me tightly. He became fearful.

“Aslang, how can you foresee such horror; your own son?” I said.

Ivar laughed wickedly. “I will gladly do it.” Aslang smiled proudly at Ivar. Sigurd’s fear vibrated off him.

“I assure you…” I whispered to Sigurd. “No harm will ever come to you.” “Son of Ragnar...” 

“Show no fear, you are Viking.” Sigurd released his grip and ran out the door and into the city.

“I’ll go get him…” Hvitserk said, running after him. 

This is the trick I was looking for. Aslang has gained back control of parenting the boys in her own means. I see now she sees me as a threat to her parenting. This makes it difficult to stir the boys on the right path. This is probably why Floki stays away a lot. Even so, Ivar gravitates to him. 

“Sigrun?” Ivar asked softly. I turned to him, “Yes?” 

“Would you allow any harm to come to me?” He asked. He twiddled his fingers in the small string of his garment.

It is a difficult question to answer, if I were to say ‘yes’ it would be a lie. If I were to say ‘no’ all that I worked for with Ivar will be gone.