Chapter Six: Season Two

It is the day of my wedding to Ubbe. The town was riddled with excitement. I, on the other hand, wanted to die. Today was supposed to be the happiest day of my life and yet I’m troubled. I’m saddened I’m not marrying the man of my dreams. Instead, the man who dreams of me is whom I’m marrying. I felt trapped and I did not like the feeling.

I stood in front of the mirror as my mother groomed my hair and placed my jewlery on.

“Will Sigurd be there?” She asked. She glared down at me.

“Of course, that’s Ubbe’s brother.”

She sighed sadly, “Poor child.” “Honestly, he is better for you.” 

“Mother?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“You are my child, you don’t think I don’t know what’s going on?” 

I sighed, letting my guard down, “How am I going to do this?”

My mother wrapped her arms around me, “Just pretend it’s Sigurd you are kissing, just pretend it’s him you are dancing with, and every chance you get love the boy.” 

Ivar ‘stood’ his ground and did not participate in walking me to Ubbe. Instead, my mother took the honor upon herself. Although, she looked utterly disgusted as she handed me off to Ubbe. She coldly placed my hand into his and turned away. She stood by Lagertha, Torvi, and Bjorn.

My eyes glanced over to Sigurd who stood with his head held down. His eyes threatened tears, but he did not allow them to fall. His lip trembled painfully and all I could do was continue with the process that pains him. As we proceeded, I prayed to the Gods to relieve Sigurd from his pain. I prayed hard, ignoring the persist. Ubbe turned to me occasionally and smiled and then turned again and looked down. 

We turned to each other as Ubbe pressed his lips against mine. Everyone applauded. I kept my eyes closed, fearing to see if Sigurd was on the ground. I took my mother’s advice and pretended I was kissing Sigurd. While I knew very well it wasn’t Sigurd and it wasn’t his tender lips I still continued to kiss him. I was now married to Ubbe and I’m the most unhappy bride.

As tradition, the bridal race began almost immediately after Ubbe pulled away from me. Ubbe, Hvitserk, and Sigurd began to race around the courtyard. The one who loses the race has to serve the feast. Ubbe kept pushing Hvitserk down, allowing Sigurd to get ahead. Ubbe then pulled Sigurd down, making him fall into the mud. Everyone began to laugh. Including Ivar. I glanced down at Ivar with anger and fire in my eyes. He quickly stopped and looked down humbly. My mother and Lagertha went to pick up Sigurd from the mud and Hvitserk became the loser.

Sigurd turned to me with broken eyes as Ubbe became obviously to his brothers’ dismay. Ubbe insentive and self-absorbed, he is certainly Ivar’s brother. Although, Ivar knows when to stop, simply by my expression. Ubbe completely ignored my cold gaze and continued to cheer on.

--

When I pictured my wedding, I imagined the boys all getting along, and everyone was happy in festive celebration. There was no celebration and everyone but Ubbe and Hvitserk looked sad including me. The boys all sat apart and they kept their distance. Lagertha raised her glass and said,

“To the bride and groom, may you have many sons to carry on Ragnar’s name!” Everyone silently lifted their glasses at the Great Hall.

“It will be momentous with Ubbe and Sigrun on our side during battle,” Bjorn said. “I heard that Sigrun has quite impressive skills.”

“Sigrun is going to stay here, I don’t want her out there on the field,” Ubbe said, quickly.

“It’s nice to see a husband care for his wife!” Lagertha said. “It’s a shame that Sigrun might miss history!”