Chapter Three: Season Three

The ride back home was long, I’m not used to the rocky waters, and I’m not used to small spaces. It was a lonely ride. Everyone was busy rowing or preparing foods or making rope. It seemed as though everyone avoided me. They concentrated carefully on their tasks at hand. If they were to pass me, they kept their heads lowered. 

As I sat on the barrel, Ubbe stood in front of me, with his arms crossed. Looking rather upset with me. I’m not surprised. It seems everything I do upsets him. I’m glad I’m not his wife anymore, his expectations are insane. 

“Yes?” I asked.

“Did you have a hand in convincing Hvitserk to go with Ivar?” 

“He is a grown man with just as many expectations as the rest of you,” I said. I got up and wiped my hands on my pants.

“Besides…” I said, “Ivar needs someone to watch him…” “He’s never been on his own.”

“So you assigned Hvitserk?” He laughed, knowing Hvitserk is just as immature and untamed as Ivar.

“You all are grown now…” “You’re not my responsibility anymore!” 

I turned and stopped, I realized what I said probably would upset Ubbe. I’m their most prized possession and I just spit on them.

I turned around to see Ubbe’s head was down as he pressed his fingers into his eyes. I sighed sadly.

I went over and gave him a hug. “I’m sorry.” “I love each of you, including you, Ubbe…” 

“No matter what I will always be there.” 

--

We were nearly home and my sword had not yet been cleaned. Vikings are good blacksmiths, but our blades are not as beautiful or sharp as our enemies. Yet, our pride gives our blades its edge and the Gods bless each swing to our enemies. It’s just good enough and we cherish them. 

Upon my blade, I found something reflecting off the belly close to the inner rim. I thought it was a drop of water as I tried to clear it away. The shine grew as I realized the sword was not blunt or average at all. It had years of gunk and rustic build up. Underneath it was a beautifully shined sword. The light reflected off it, illuminating its perfection. The handle was actually made of thin gold woven into it. I never knew that this was the sword’s actual identity. It was remarkable.

The sword captured the entire boat, causing our movement to stop. No Viking has a sword like this. I smiled looking at everyone. It is a gift from the elves to a thrall. Ubbe came over to me as his eyes gleamed. 

“I always knew that sword had some special property!” Ubbe exclaimed, “And it’s all yours!” 

“Queen of the Valkyries!” A young Shield-maiden said. 

“Queen of the Valkyries?” One questioned.

“Yes, a Queen in her own right!”

--

Home was an arm's length away as we approached the inland. An up roar could be heard. Lagertha stood on the docks with her head held proudly as we avenged Ragnar. Next to her is Torvi, Ubbe’s eyes light up with pride as he looks at her. She is a beauty with blonde hair and blue eyes with a tippy nose. Lagertha favors her. Next to her is the now free thrall Margrette. She beamed at me with a sly grin as I got off the dock. 

Lagertha bowed her head to Ubbe, but then embraced me. I nearly collapsed in her arms, but I held myself. She kissed my hair and then pulled me away, her eyes wilting with tears. 

“Thank the Gods you are back!” She moved past me and greeted other people. I was hoping to be praised by her, I was nearly in shock as she left me standing. Ubbe was with Margrette, talking dangerously close to one another. He growled, picking her up in his arms and walked off the docks.