Chapter Seven: Season Two

Once we got back to the Great Hall, everyone was either drunk or blacked out drunk. The table was an incredible mess and Margrette was too busy talking with Ubbe. I scoffed, turning to Sigurd. He held Ivar under his arm, Ivar had become exhausted from the long day and he could barely hold himself. Out of kindness and love for me, Sigurd carried him half way. Sigurd handed Ivar over to me.

“Here…” Sigurd said, “Take him.” I gently took Ivar in my arms as he drifted in and out of sleep. 

“I’ll send everyone home.” I nodded to Sigurd. I carried Ivar to the back. Ubbe turned and said,

“What happened to him?” Ubbe asked. Ivar’s hair was wet from sweat and his eyes were black and blue from the fight.

“Nothing,” I sighed, I didn’t feel like explaining. “Just uh, keep drinking, and I will be with you soon!” 

“No need too,” Margaret said, “Ubbe has plenty of company with me!” She laughed. I scoffed. 

Whore.

I brought Ivar to the back and lightly laid Ivar down on the bed. “Tonight was fun,” Ivar said.

“It was?” I quietly said. I placed the covers over him. 

“Yes,” “The most fun I ever had!” 

I chuckled as I moved some hair away from his eyes, “Your hair is getting longer.” “Did you mean what you said before?” I asked. 

Ivar’s eyes were already closed and he was already snoring softly. From behind me, I could feel Ubbe’s gaze on me, making sure I don’t try anything with Ivar. To stir the pot, I placed a soft, motherly kiss on Ivar’s forehead.

I got up and sighed, leaving the room. I now have to listen to Ubbe’s overbearing expression of concern. 

“May we speak now?” Ubbe asked. 

“I thought you were talking with Margrette?” I sneered.

“No, Hvitserk has her now.” 

“Then what do you wish to speak about?” I asked, turning to him.

“I understand you want to go with us to Wessex….” I said, feeling a twinge of hope. “And I appreciate your loyalty to my father’s legacy….”

I nodded, feeling my lips turn into a smile, “I appreciate everything you’ve done for us as children…”

“Ubbe?” 

“You do understand why I don’t want you going, right?” He said. My smile quickly disappeared.

“I suppose so…” I sighed, wanting to end the conversation.

“You can clearly see how important you are to me and my brothers, and if something were to happen to you…” “I can’t even think of it.”

“Death is bliss to a Viking…” I said.

“It certainly is!” A loud, gruff voice appeared. We gasped, turning to the door.

I sighed out of relief,

“King Harold!” I ran up to him and gave him a hug. “Now, who do you suppose this is?” He said, holding me out in front of him.

“King Harold, I was merely a young thrall in Queen Aslang’s court…” 

“Ah!” He smiled, brightly, “Young Sigrun! Queen of the Valkyries everyone called you!” “All grown and married away!”

King Harold reached over to Ubbe and shook his hand. He smiled brightly and said, “The young generation of Ragnar is all grown!”