Chapter Seven: Season Three

It is another sleepless night. My eyes fluttered open into the vast darkness. The moon was once over my bed, but then it gradually moved across the sky. The sounds of buzzards flew in and out of my open window, biting me and causing discomfort. I got up and came to the conclusion I’m not going to get any sleep. Since my nightmarish experience with Ivar the God the other night, I could hardly get a good night's sleep without thinking someone was going to burst down my door. I got up and grabbed my cloak.

I bravely wandered into the night. Quietly making my way to Hvitserk’s house. It was peaceful in Kattegat, the only sound I could hear was my footsteps against the grain and rocks. I was hesitant to go to Hvitserk’s house. I knew very well he would not be up. Instead I will ask if I could possibly sleep in his bed with Thora. It was a daring thought, but I know Hvitserk would not say no to me. 

I made my way to the back door of his home and quietly walked inside. I placed my cloak down and tiptoed to his side of the bed. Thora slept on the right side. Her hair was draped over her naked body. Hvitserk slept without his shirt, exposing his tattooed body. My heart pounded as I hovered over Hvitserk. The moon light casting a blue shadow over him. I can understand why now, Thora is in love with him. Hvitserk has truly grown into a handsome man. Every woman in Kattegat wants Hvitserk, they would do anything just to be near him. 

Gently, I nudge Hvitserk awake. He fluttered his eyes open and smiled. “Is it morning?” he groaned.

“No,” I whispered, “It’s still very late.” 

“Is everything ok?” He asked.

“I can’t sleep.” “Could I possibly share the bed with you and Thora?” 

“To have two beautiful women in my bed is the greatest gift Odin can bestow upon me,” Hvitserk said, lifting the covers, exposing himself. I did not hesitate to crawl in between the sheets and snuggled in with him. He wrapped his arm around me and placed a kiss on my forehead.

He sighed happily, “Comfortable?” He pushed his legs the opposite way, so that he would not touch me.

“Yes.” We fell asleep together.

--

We were suddenly jolted awake by the bed sagging down. I was too weak and tired to even open my eyes. If something is here to kill me, let it put me in eternal sleep. Hvitserk gasped, waking up. He held me tightly causing me to groan. 

“What are you doing here, Ivar?” Hvitserk said. 

I gasped, lifting my head up, hysterically, “Ivar?” 

Ivar noticed the fear in my eyes as he gently grazed my cheek with his fingertips. “Shh, go back to sleep,” Ivar whispered. 

I nestled back into bed, falling deeper into the bed and into Hvitserk’s chest. Although I did not go to sleep. I listened quietly as the boys talked to one another. 

“I have a special mission I would like you to endure,” Ivar whispered.

“What is it?”

“I need you to travel north to see King Olaf…” Ivar said.

“North?”

“Yes, Hvitserk, it'll be a great opportunity to spread your name around!” Hvitserk gripped me tightly, his thumb caressing my hand. Ivar noticed Hvitserk’s discontentment just by how he is holding me close.

“I would never harm her, you know that!” Ivar said, calmly. 

“Yeah, but you’re not merciful to her!” 

--

Hvitserk did not have a choice but to accept the voyage. It is not a custom time and there was no grand celebration to his departure. Thora and I worried greatly for his safety and we worried for our safety here in Kattegat; alone. It was a sad day, it was cold, and it rained heavily in the morning.