Chapter Four: Season Four

I pulled the covers over Hvitserk and placed a soft, hardly noticeable kiss. “I love you,” I whispered, hoping my words reached him. He smiled gently, indicating he had received my message. It was a bright and sunny morning in Kattegat. The rain has stopped and the Gods are now resting, allowing us mortals to do what we have to do. I picked up my bow and arrow, my axes, and my sword and went into the woods. It is becoming winter in Kattegat and livestock will become incredibly scarce after a few months. 

I’m confident to leave Hvitserk alone now. He has made much progress and he sleeps gently. However, he could not make that voyage that Ubbe placed him on, causing Ubbe to become cross with his little brother. I knew this voyage was not a good idea and it would have little effect in Hvitserk’s recovery. I spoke my mind to Ubbe in how I thought it was not a good idea, resulting in Ubbe and I falling out once more. What made me lose my respect for Ubbe is when he reminded me I was a thrall. I have not spoken to Ubbe in weeks.

I have so much pent up energy that I needed to do it out with my training. I set up the stags and the targets and began practicing my target practice. I even tried to fire my swiftly turning around and firing at the target behind me. I then removed my sword and began to swing it around, listening to the ring of it’s silver side. I turned and another sword caught me off guard and stopped my sword from moving.

Ubbe.

 He moved his sword, a crazed look was in his eye, he then stepped back and removed his cloak. He held his sword to me as I striked. I was pretty fast, causing Ubbe to back away; out of breath. I chuckled, taking a step forward. I swung without giving him a chance to get back up.

“You’re getting stronger!” He said out loud. I ignored him and grew aggressive towards him. Ubbe became overwhelmed, falling to the ground, I pointed the sword just at the tip of his chin. As I was fighting, I was in a complete daze, my body was numb and void of feeling or consciousness. It was only now I realized I was fighting Ubbe. I pulled back my sword and allowed the King of Kattegat to get up.

I put my head down in shame and placed my sword standing up in front of me. “Forgive me.” 

Ubbe pulled me to him, wrapping his arms around my upper body. “Nothing to forgive,” he murmured in my ear. 

“Nothing to forgive, my sister…” he sweetly said. From the tone of his voice, I can tell he is no longer mad with me. I outreached my arms around Ubbe and gripped him tightly to me. He is my brother and I could never be mad with him, even if I tried.

Ubbe and I parted and looked at each other. A small smile appeared across my face as I looked into his eyes. They were mostly Aslang’s eyes, but I can also see Ragnar. I have not thought about him in a very long time, and it was refreshing to still see him in his son. It was a treasured gift that I would only need to look at Ubbe and see his father whenever I pleased too. 

“I have news for you…” Ubbe said. 

“Yes?”

“Bjorn has returned home!” Ubbe said. 

“Oh..” I shrugged. Bjorn has unknowingly lost me as his sister forever. We have grown distant. The once lively, sweet child or even man that I knew disappeared in front of my eyes. He has grown to be almost cold and heartless towards me. Along with his mother, they do not even spare me a glance. 

“Did…” “Did he succeed in becoming King of all Norway?” 

Ubbe seemed disappointed as he put his head down and sighed, “No.” It was a small triumph for me. I did not feel sorry for Bjorn, actually I marveled in his misery. His misery brought me happiness. A small smile appeared across my face while Ubbe had his head turned to the small noises coming from the forest.