Chapter two: Season two

I was welcomed back into Kattegat and I quickly settled into my mother’s house. She kept my room exactly how I left it. It is smaller than I remembered, but I was never so happy to lay upon my bed of feathers. Lagertha was kind enough to provide me with sheets. They were imported silk sheets from merchants that came through Kattegat. 

Tonight is a very special night. The entire town is going to make a sacrifice for a successful revenge. It has to be a human sacrifice. A slight creek from the floorboards as I looked up to see Lagertha coming into my bedroom. Her long blonde hair flowed gently down her side. She still looks youthful and radiant. 

“Lagertha?” 

“Are you settling in well?” She asked, as she closed the door behind her.

“Yes.”

“I need to speak with you,” she said. I propped myself on my elbows. She sat graciously on my bed, turning her head slowly to me.

“It wasn’t right what Aslang did to you, it wasn’t right what she did to me…” She said, “She has tore us from our homes and tore us from our families.” 

I became unsettled and uncomfortable as Lagertha talked about Aslang. I felt Aslang’s eyes on me as if she was still around. I felt her cold presences. A sudden shiver traveled down my spine like lightening striking a tree and hitting its roots. Lagertha glared at me,

“Are you alright?” 

“Lagertha,” I sighed. “You shouldn’t talk about Aslang…” 

“Do you fear the boys might hear?” 

The boys would never hurt me. I’m the hand that raised them. I’m the arms that comforted them while they were sick. 

“I do not fear them, I only fear the memory of Aslang,” “I also fear the damage she has left on the boys.” 

“After all these years-” Lagertha muttered, “Your love, your loyalty, and your fear for them lingers heavily as if you birth all four.” 

I smiled, “They are all I really had.” 

Ubbe approached my doorway, he looked less than pleased to see me. I looked up  and gently nodded my head to him.

“We would like to speak with you,” Ubbe said.

“I’m a little busy, Ubbe.”

“We need to speak with you!” He said sternly to me. I scoffed and dropped the bucket. I peered my head into the door,

“Mama, I will be back!” I closed the door behind me and followed Ubbe into the woods.

I looked over at Lagertha not to ask her to be excused, but to politely excuse myself from her prences. She nodded sweetly as if she understood the mission at hand.

--

We came into a small patch of grass where the trees surrounded the sun allowing a small patch to peek through the canopy. Hvitserk, Sigurd, and Ivar sat nicely against the tree barks and rocks. As we approached them, I could hear them laughing to themselves. It brought a small smile to my face to hear that again. We stopped in the middle; Ubbe went over to the boys and stood oin the middle.

“Let us talk together with the Gods…” Ubbe said, I nodded. I sat down on a rock and placed my hands on my lap. 

“We are very angry with you, Sigrun…” Ubbe began to say.

“Speak for yourself, brother,” Ivar gently chimed. 

“Why are you angry with me?” I asked.

“You abandoned us!” 

I nodded as Ubbe’s voice echoed through the forest, sending birds flying.

“Ubbe, you do not know the entire story!” I said, “Your mother banished me for loving you all too much.”

“We do not believe you!” Ubbe hissed.

“Brother…” Sigurd said, turning to him, “I think we should speak for ourselves…” 

Sigurd turned to me, his eyes looking tenderly into mine, “I do not believe you abandoned us, I know my mother was jealous of you.”

“I’ve missed you everyday!” 

“I’m angry that you did not fight to stay!” Hvitserk said.

“Understand, I tried, I would’ve given my heart to your mother to keep you in my arms!” I said.

“I could never be mad with you!” Hvitserk mumbled.

“I’m angry with you…” Ubbe said. “You were our light in our darkest times and you were our best friend…” 

“I forgive her!” Ivar said bluntly. “I do understand she has no choice, and here we are sitting and judging her...everyone knows how my mother despised her.” 

“We are judging her just to see how much she can cave under pressure…” Sigurd said, his eyes turned playfully to me. He sat with his arms gently crossed his chest.

“I say she’s doing a good job!” Ivar commented. The boys gave out a subtle chuckle. I couldn’t help but to laugh.

I got up and approached Ubbe who seemed to have a hard time forgiving me. “Understand it was not my fault…” I said. “I’m so sorry if I caused any of my boys any pain or suffering,” I placed my hand on Ubbe’s warm cheek. Ubbe smiled as he gently placed his hand on top of mine. 

“Do you still want to marry one of us?” Sigurd asked, a hint of fear mixed in with curiosity echoed in his voice. 

I sighed turning to Sigurd, he was desperate for an answer as he leaned in to hear my response. 

“There was…” I began to say, but I stopped to think.

The boys are no longer, well boys. They are men. I do not have to sweet talk about anything anymore. I can very well speak my mind to them without them getting to (to) upset at least. Although, Sigurd’s face reflected the answer he wanted to hear and not the answer he will hear from me. I know he will be sore, but what I’m going to say reflects to anyone even outside the sons of Ragnar.

“There was a time I wanted to marry, but I’m perfectly content with my life,” I said. 

“Not that any of you would not be wonderful husbands, but my destiny was never to marry any of you.”

I looked over to Sigurd who seemed disappointed, I’m not surprised. I did not want to hurt him though. His lip quivered as he looked down.

“What’s wrong, Sigurd?” Ivar hissed. His tongue might sting like a serpent, but somehow there is a hint of soft, harmonic bliss in his voice. 

Ivar chuckled, “Sad that the Gods did not even fate you to be with Sigrun?” 

Sigurd’s sad eyes harden as he shoots Ivar a look. The twinkle in his eyes disappeared as fire replaced them.

“Not like she’ll marry you, boneless!” Sigurd said.

Ivar’s pride was immendently shot down by Sigurd calling him ‘boneless.’ Sigurd never called Ivar ‘boneless’ before. As long as I was around, Sigurd never stooped down to Ivar’s level. They stared at each with great tension. They did not blink and their chests stopped rising. The tension was not so great in Sigurd, for anything Sigurd was frightened.

Ivar was the one giving off the tension. Ivar’s tension reflected the idea that his territory was crossed. His eyes were rigid to begin with, now he has completely tensed them. Although, somehow they seemed soft, as if he was frightened. Of course, if Sigurd was even to attack Ivar; he wouldn’t stand a chance. His face gently vibrated, indicating his growing anger. 

I went over to Ivar and sat right next to him. I put my hand gently on his tensed shoulder and imminently he calmed. He looked up at me with tender eyes and his lips gently apart. I chuckled realizing I still have some sort of power over him. A power I really never had to use, but I feared for Sigurd. He is tormented just as Ivar is. 

“Can you two get along with me here at least?” I said, looking over to Sigurd. He was drawn in. Picturing himself in Ivar’s position. 

“You two were never like this.”