episode seven

Enora is never alone; someone is always beside her. Holding her hand. Even if she isn't aware of it, no one wants her to be alone. Teddy faced complications trying to get Nor off the pump which left Nor without oxygen for a quite a while. They got her heart started, but it took a lot to do so. Teddy and Richard decided to induce a coma for a little while to give her body, mainly her heart and new graft, some time to recover.

Amelia was furious. "We need to test her cognitive function, wake her up! If she's brain damaged I wear I will sue!"

Half the hospital heard her yelling at Teddy, Owen and Webber. She hasn't been able to face any of them since, still mad but partly embarrassed. She did over react just a little, thinking more as a doctor than a relative.

In the 5 days since the surgery, Meredith has been by everyday. She spent the first 2 days with Enora, refusing to leave her side. Hayes convinced her on day 3 to let Maggie switch for a while. He took her home and helped Link with the kids for a while as Mer showered and slept. Then she went straight back to the hospital. The Minnesota project has come to a halt since it's two main researchers are unavailable due to the family issue.

Meredith breathes in time with the ventilator, a subconscious movement, as she stares at Enora's peaceful face. She's curled up in the armchair beside bed, hand stretched out to hold Nors. She knows when Hayes walks in but she doesn't look over.

"Mer? Come on, home time." He encourages.

"Winston has the kids. It's fine." She mumbles.

Kneeling down beside her, he gently takes her other hand. "Mer, you're looking tired again." He says gently. "And the kids need to see you - they panic when you don't come home."

Meredith looks over frowning. "How do you..."

Cormac smiles small. "Zozo. She stole Maggie's phone and called me."

Mer takes a deep breath and sits up, letting go of Enora's hand but not Hayes'. "She's so scared about all this." She sighs and looks at him. "I don't know what to do."

"I have an idea - if you're open to hear it." He suggests.

"I'm listening." Mer raises an eyebrow.

"We show Zola what's going on. She's such a smart girl and I think it'll help her understand a lot more."

Meredith hesitates. "What if this is the last image she ever sees of her sister?" She looks over at Nor.

"It won't be." He assures her. "What do you say?"

Meredith nods small and looks up at Hayes as he stands. "I'll go-"

"She's sort of already here." He laughs nervously.

Mer glares a little and shakes her head. "You're way too cocky." She mumbles, looking up as Amelia walks in holding Zola's hand. Zo is half hiding behind her.

 Zo is half hiding behind her