episode eighty seven

Amelia hasn't slept, just sat beside Knox. James is snoring, as is Kai - both sound asleep across an armchair and the other couch. Amelia keeps checking Knox is breathing, heart is pumping; she knows he'd do the same if it were her. Corey explained what happened. He came home, didn't seem right so Corey said what he did and then hours later he got the call. Whatever Knox is going through was reason enough to want to let go. And none of them are judging him for it - there will be no judgement.

She eventually becomes aware of his phone vibrating so she digs it out of his pocket. She glances at a message from Nor a few hours ago saying have fun with James but then a bunch of messages and missed calls from an 'Is'.

The person calls again so Amelia goes to the kitchen and closes the door most of the way. "Hello?"

"Oh... um I-"

"Knox is....unavailable." Amelia says to the woman on the other end. "Is everything okay?"

"I... I got some weird messages from Knox last night and haven't heard from him since... I got worried. Is he okay? Who are you?" Isobel panics, hand on her chest as she paces her hotel room.

"I'm his Aunt, I'm Amelia." She says. "Are you a friend?"

Amelia Shepherd... huh. Isobel takes a breath. "Sort of yes."

"Do you happen to know what's happened lately? Has he seemed himself? Sorry I know this is invasive and weird, were just concerned." Amelia tries to sound casual. Whoever 'Is' happens to be may be the reason Knox is in this state.

Isobel is piecing things together. It's clear he's done something, that something is likely a relapse. She clears her throat. "We've been super stressed with school stuff lately." She lies quickly. "He's hardly take time for himself." Not entirely a lie, really. He never takes time for himself.

"Okay... thanks. I'll have him call you when he feels- when he's awake." Amelia covers.

"Feels what? Is he oka-"

"I gotta go." Amelia quickly hangs up and bites her thumb. Definitely crossed a line...

Knox wakes with a banging headache, dry throat, sore thigh, blurry vision, racing heart, sweaty forehead and one heck of an urgency to pee. He rushes to the bathroom and hears everyone react quickly. When he comes out, Kai, Amelia and James are all staring at him. "Morning..." He mumbles slowly.

"How do you feel?" Amelia asks, handing in her back pockets.

"Shitty... confused. How'd I end up here? Why does my thigh hurt?" He rubs his eyes and leans on the wall.

"Naloxone." Kai chews their cheek.

"Shit." Knox frowns.

"Yeah." James simply says as he looks at his brother with worried eyes.

Knox takes a deep breath. "I'm okay... I know my actions don't show that but I think I needed to just get it out if my system. And I just needed to let loose." He looks at them all slowly.

"That's okay." Amelia smiles reassuringly. "You did good to call Corey."

"He didn't tell-" Knox panics.

"No, mom doesn't know." James assures. "She thinks you stayed at mine."

He sighs in relief and rubs his brow. "Shit... Good."

"Come on, I'm making waffles. You need to eat." She smiles small at Knox. Then she turns to Kai and James. "And you two should go see ENT - the snoring!" She tuts.

They roll their eyes and Knox follows behind them as they go to the kitchen. Kai helps Amelia as James and Knox sit quickly at the table. James watches his brother. "You good? Seriously?"