episode ninety

"So how much older is this woman?"

Enora huffs at her son as she sets the table. "James, we've gone over this."

"I know I just... how old?" He tilts his head.

"She's around my age. It's no big-"

"This is bullshit!" Grey yells.

Enora sighs. "What did you do?" She calls, walking away from setting the table to find her youngest.

He's sat trying to tie his laces. "Bullshit bullshit bullshit!" He snaps. "I hate it!"

Enora kneels down opposite where he sits on the bottom step. "Oh baby. You have velcro shoes, they're easier huh." She gently ties the laces on his white converse.

"I like these ones. They make me look-look grown up." He sighs and hangs his head.

Enora brushes his curls back. "I know baby and you so nearly had it. What do we do if we can't do something?"

"Ask for help." He mumbles.

"Or?"

"Give it another try later." He sighs and looks at his mom. "When's dad home?"

"Any minute. Wanna wait by the window for him?" She offers as she adjusts his glasses. Grey nods and she moves aside so he can grab his frame. He makes his way to the window seat in the front living room and climbs into it, leaning his chin on the cushions to watch out the window. "He looks like a proper soldier today." She promises, sitting behind him and kissing his head.

"Mom!" Rosie and Lowie yell simultaneously.

"Good god help me." She mutters, Grey giggling as she stands. "What!" She moves to the bottom of the stairs.

"She took my bracelet!" Rosie points to Harlow opposite her.

"Did not, we have the same one!"

"Yeah and that's my one!"

"Is not!"

"Is t-"

"Oh I don't care!" Enora groans and rubs her head. "Both of you can pick a different bracelet and will not make another peep. Or I take them all!"

They slam their doors and she growls. She sits on the step and rubs her eyes for a minute, taking a moment to herself. She hears the jeep park up at the same time as Grey scrambles to the door. "Dad!" He yells.

Corey scoops him up. "Wassup fart face!"

Grey giggles. "You're a soldier today!"

Corey glances down at his camo rig. "That I am. You look so smart dude." He smooths the collar of Grey's white shirt. "Definitely inspired my outfit."

"Can we match?"

"Uh abso-freaking-lutely." Corey tuts like its so obvious. "Woah look at your momma." He whispers when he sees Enora.

Enora rolls her eyes but can't stop the goofy smile on her face as she goes over and kisses him. "Hi. How'd it go?"

"Later." He promises and sets Grey down. "I need a shower before our guests arrive."

"Well I didn't wanna say but... you stink."

Corey gasps at Grey. "I thought we were friends!"

Grey laughs harder as Corey stomps dramatically up the stairs. Enora smiles and shakes her head as she goes back to the kitchen where Mary frosts a cake. "Corey's home." She jokes to Enora.

"I hadn't noticed." She jokes back. "How's my grand baby?"

Mary touches her small bump. "He's all good."