episode forty

Enora takes a deep breath before she opens the door and steps in. She analyses Knox as she gently closes the door behind her. He's laid on his side facing the wall, shivering as he hugs his legs. She quietly walks over and sits in the chair. "How do you feel?"

"Like I've partied with a unicorn." He snaps. "Fantastic."

"It doesn't feel great I know, but you're on day 5. You're doing well." She says quietly. "I came to apologise for my behaviour yesterday, it was very unprofessional. I'm sorry."

His eyes flick to her for a moment; his forehead is all clammy, his hair stuck to it. "N-no you're not."

"I am. I've never reacted that way, not unless high or coming down." She admits, scratching her neck. She takes a deep breath, but he speaks before she can.

"That's why-why you're here. You pity me. And-and wanna fix me." He shivers. "I. Don't want. It." He closes his eyes.

"Yes you do. Because I can see further than you'll let show. You're scared, you're struggling. You don't have to do this alone." She shakes her head.

"Want to." He snaps.

"No you don't," She shakes her head and sighs, "Okay? So you'll come home with me later on. I'll discharge you and you'll be placed in my care."

His cold eyes open and glare at her. "I don't want that!"

"Yeh? Your social worker thinks it's a good choice, it's either this or prison. Is that what you want?"

He doesn't respond.

"Right. So 6pm, I'll come get you with my husband. You got one chance here, Knox, you really need to consider what you want out of it. I'm not asking you to come and play happy families, if you choose to leave and never speak to me again once you're through this then I won't be offended. But you owe it to yourself, your future, to at least try and get clean." She stands and walks to the door, pausing. "I wish I'd had a chance like this at your age but instead I died - for a good 5 minutes. And I didn't get to withdraw like this, I was drugged further and kept in psych ward because my dad was an ass. Because he did that, I made sure I was ten times worse when I got out. Don't be stupid with this, okay?"

He doesn't respond so she sighs and leaves; once alone, however, Knox bursts into tears of pain, anger and hurt. He doesn't want to be like this, not at all. But he never had a choice. From the moment he could walk, he was doing drug runs for his father. He was taking beatings from his step father, he was being ignored by his mother and accused of lying. He was cutting coke before he could do math properly and bagging weed was his way of learning weight. He never had a choice so why should he take this one? Coz it isn't really his choice, is it, they're gonna control him. He's done being controlled.

And the moment he sees the docs husband? He knows they're gonna clash. He's an asshole, he'd bet anything on it. Knox bounces his leg as he sits at the table, Jax and Enora walking in with his social worker.

"Knox, its good seeing yo-"

"Suck a dick." He snaps.

Paul sighs as they all sit opposite him. "Knox, Mr and Doctor Andrews have offered to take you in during your recovery but they'd like to set some ground rules."

Knox laughs. "Course there's a catch." He rolls his eyes, tapping the table now as well as bouncing his leg.

" He rolls his eyes, tapping the table now as well as bouncing his leg