episode forty seven

Nor leans on the nurses station watching Mer write on the surgical board

Nor leans on the nurses station watching Mer write on the surgical board. "It's been a while since you did a surgery, you sure you're up for this?"

Mer glances over and rolls her eyes. "I've been cutting half your life."

"Damn you're old then."

"Shut up Enora." Her mom rolls her eyes as Nor smirks. "Yes I'm ready. This kid deserves the best."

"The cockiness continues huh?" Nor sasses as she smiles and follows her mom to the scrub room. "We're going to need it with this case."

"Remind me again of the basics." Mer grabs a sponge and presses the water on with her knee.

Nor does the same. "Katie Song, 12. Swallowed a button battery when she was 5 and has had intestinal problems ever since. Currently suffering with short bowel syndrome and is in need of a stoma. Likely permanent."

"Poor kid. Batteries were my biggest fear as a mom." She shakes her head.

"Lowie puts everything in her mouth, were lucky she's never been in because of this." Nor shakes her head too.

"Let's go give this little girl a lease of life then." Mer smiles.

Enora smiles too and they head in, beginning the surgery. "I don't know how much we can salvage..."

"Get on the phone to UNOS, tell them we have an emergency." Mer orders.

They do what they can before they both sit back, away from the sterile field; Mer sips her bottle of water and looks over at her daughter. "Whats going on in that wonderous mind of yours?" She muses.

Enora takes a deep breath. "Derek has alzheimers. Apparently."

Meredith is silent. He... what? She opens and closes her mouth. "That's... extremely ironic."

"Exactly what I thought." Enora smiles small.

Mer frowns. "Why do you sound so unsure? You don't believe it?"

"I do - I think. I witnessed it first hand, his memory is shot. He didn't know me or the hospital, he didn't mention you. He still believes he's married to Addison." She shakes her head; she pulls her grey scrub cap off and plays with it. "He's got it but... it doesn't seem right. He had no signs a year ago yet now he's so far gone."

"Have you shared this with Amelia? I assume she's involved still with him."

"I have no place... I uh... I did sort of get a blood sample. I had it sent down under no name and yet nothing come back. Not a single thing. Well. His haemoglobin was a little low but nothing too worrying."

"Haemoglobin can highlight a lot of things." Mer points out. "Anaemia, B12 deficiency-"

Nor looks at her mom quickly. "B12...  thats going way back to med school, but that's not made in the body is it."