episode fifty six

Mark sighs as he walks along the quiet hallway and carefully sits on the edge of the bed

Mark sighs as he walks along the quiet hallway and carefully sits on the edge of the bed. Enora doesn't react to his presence as she stares at the wall, her fingers picking at the IV tape. "What on earth..." He slowly begins, his voice calm but she knows not in a good way, "were you thinking?"

Enora takes a shaky breath. "Every teenager experiments with-"

"You're fourteen!" He snaps, not meaning to do so. "You are barely a teenager and yet you've already had an overdose!"

"It wasn't int-"

"Don't bullshit me." He shakes his head, standing and beginning to pace with his hands on his hips.

"I'm not." Enora snap, her eyes finally following him. "I was just having fun and I didn't realise how much I was snorting." She shakes her head.

Mark stops and stares. "How are you ever doing coke? At your age. Enora, you're smarter than this! Is it those friends?" He rubs his forehead. "Your parents have already lectured you and grilled you but... take it from me. The man who fixes these issues. Carry on like this, you'll need a septal reconstruction by 25." He warns. "Your face is too beautiful for that."

"Stop pretending to care! Derek and Addison made it pretty clear what I am and what they think. I'm unlovable!" She snaps, jumping off the bed to storm away. It isn't so graceful considering the IV bag and pole she wheels along.

"You are not! Enora Shepherd, I love you just as much as I do Sophia. You're my kid as much as Derek and Addisons and you will sit your ass back on that bed!" He yells.

Enora freezes but doesn't turn around. Her uncle Mark is more of a father to her than her own dad half the time and she always felt the only one to have noticed it. "Don't..."

"You think I'm lying?" He says gentler. "When you were born, I actually realised what it was to care for someone other than myself. Sure, you're their kid but I've been there every step of the way. And I'm always going to be. Even when you fuck up like this."

Enora wipes her cheeks and looks over. "I just... they treat me like I'm stupid! And-and nothing I ever do is good enough. So when I tried it a few weeks ago and it felt good, I thought 'heck yeah, this is great!' But then I just needed more and more so I figured I'd just take a bunch. It was stupid but I just wanted to feel numb." She sobs.