episode sixty five

Kai stands by the hospital, their phone in hand as they wait for it to ring or a message to pop up. They really don't want to be here. In this situation, they mean. They adore Seattle, they're so thankful Amelia gave things ago with them again and they love Scout to pieces. But right now? They'd rather be anywhere but here.

"Hey."

Their head snaps up and they come face to face with the person they've been talking to for a while. "Hey..." Kai says slowly, taking a deep breath.

Julian takes a deep breath. "You look... different."

Kai nods small

Kai nods small. "So do you... but then again, it has been over 10 years." They shrug small.

He forces a smile. "More like 13."

Kai sighs. "Julian, look-"

"Don't. Just... dont." He holds his hands up. "It was a mistake coming, okay? I see that now." He turns to walk away.

Kai grabs his arm and releases it when he turns to glare. They holds their hands up in defence. "Hey look, I'm sorry. I won't do it again... but you came to me, to me, for a reason so I'm guessing it must be serious. You made it clear long ago I'm not your mom anymore."

Julian scoffs. "Can you even be a mom and be non binary? What is the term for that?"

Kai rolls their eyes. "Depends on the person and what they feel. I, personally, don't care."

He kicks the ground, staring at it. "Whatever." He grumbles.

Kai takes a deep breath. "Whats wrong? Is it your grandparents?"

"They're fine." He mumbles. He looks up at Kai, the person who abandoned him a long time ago. "I'm-I'm sick. And I know you're not that kind of doctor but I figured you'd maybe know a way to help."

It feels like the wind has been knock out of Kai. "The ependymomas?" They guess.

Julian nods and looks anywhere but at Kai. "Yep."

Kai takes a deep breath. "They got rid of that years ago, you were in the clear."

"They always said it was likely to come back. They weren't sure they go it all - evidently they didn't because I have cancer again." He shrugs, looking at his parent.

"How can you be sure?" They ask slowly.

"I keep getting numb in my hands. Radiating pain in my back. Numb legs. Dizziness, nausea. All the stuff I had before but like a 100 times worse." He laughs humourlessly.