episode forty six

Enora sits in her car for a moment having just ended the routine nighttime call with the girls. She's already done a surgery and it's only a few hours into her 12 hour shift. She snuck away to call the girls and is trying to prolong going in.

Finally she sighs and drags herself out of the car, locking it and dropping her keys into her scrub pocket. She's about to head inside when she sees someone stood staring up at the building. "Hey..." she calls slowly.

The man looks over and her heart stops. Derek looks at her, but there's no recognition in his eyes. His face is thin, stubble greying and hair greying. "I-Im looking for Seattle Grace. I though it was here but..." He frowns and stares at the sign in front of him clearly reading 'Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital'.

Enora isn't sure what to do. What the fuck is going on? "Seattle Grace hasn't existed in a long while... what year is it?"

"It's two thousand and-" he stops, squinting as he looks up, trying to think. "Yeah." He says after a moment.

Enora's heart leaps. What does she do? She hates this man but he isn't the man she hates - which doesn't make sense but does all at once. He's Derek Shepherd physically yet she doubts his mental state. "Why don't we go inside?" She offers. "I think its about to rain, we don't want to get wet."

"Rain... it rains a lot here." He muses. "My wife hates the rain."

Wife? Is that Meredith or Addison?

"She does?" Nor forces a smile, slowly walking towards the door; he follows at a slow pace, his walking seeming off, too. "Sounds like a sane woman."

"Addison isn't sane." He shakes his head.

Ha. Okay, so they're talking about events likely almost 3 decades ago. Good to know. "Do you want me to call Addison?"

"God no. She doesn't know I'm here." He shakes his head. "I'm meant to start a job here in a few days... I think." He frowns a little.

Enora nods slowly. "Okay. Why don't I show you the ER?" Alright. Addison doesn't know he's here - that means he thinks it's probably around 2005/6. 

"Perfect." He smiles.

"You good?" She asks as she sees his steps falter.

"Y-yeah..." He says slowly.

Enora grabs a nearby wheelchair. "Here, VIP service." She smiles small.

He hesitates but slowly sits. "Where am I?"

"Seattle Grace." Enora says, wheeling him to the pit. "Remember? You were telling me about your wife."

"Wife? I have a wife?" He whispers to himself, frowning.

Amelia freezes as she sees Enora wheeling Derek. "Nor..."

"I- don't ask." She shakes her head. "I can't even explain."

"Derek should be in a home-" Amelia begins but stops herself.

Enora's eyebrows shoot up. "A home? For what?" She demands.

"Look, he didn't want you to know. You guys, the relationship isn't good and he's not well-"

"For. What." She demands.

"Dementia. Derek has early onset dementia but is fastly declining. He's pretty much gone these days, doesn't recognise me when I visit." She takes a deep breath.

Enora frowns deeply. "Dementia? Derek Shepherd? No. I don't believe it." She shakes her head.

"I did ever test Enora." Amelia shakes her head. "Take him into trauma 3 and close the blinds. I'll call the home."