episode forty nine

Nor lays with her head on the pillow that supports baby boy, his fingers gripping hers

Nor lays with her head on the pillow that supports baby boy, his fingers gripping hers. "You can do it baby. You can gain just a few more ounces and be fit and ready for surgery. Please." She whispers.

He's only 72 hours old but the weight of the world is already on him. At just shy of 5 pounds, Teddy or Maggie can't operate on his heart yet. He has two big defects known as pulmonary atresia with a ventricular septal defect. Both alone can be serious, dealt with in time, but both together is pretty worrying. Add that to the fact Enora had no prenatal care, didn't know she was pregnant and had the odd drink, missed meals, worked A LOT, he's not developed as a normal baby born with this would.

She takes a shaky breath and sits up, stretching. He's not looking too scary, so she's waiting for Jax to bring the girls. He's got oxygen, some IVs, a feeding tube. Things thr girls are aware of since mommy is a doctor.

She smiles as the door opens. "Hi babies." She whispers, opening her arms. Harlow is the first in them, Rosie a second behind; she hugs them both tight for a moment before Jax picks Harlow up and Nor brings Bam onto her lap in the chair.

"Girls..." Jax says slowly. "This is Gray. Your new baby brother."

"Gway?" Harlow asks, tapping the glass incubator. "He smol."

"He is." Nor nods, smiling sadly. "He's got a poorly heart."

"Like daddy's?" Rosie asks, cuddling her mom. "And yous?"

Enora holds her close. "A little. But his is extra special because he was born with it."

Rosie nods as Harlow pushes her face against the incubator. They spend a while letting the girls ask questions and things, letting them wonder. They tend to handle changes and strange situations best when they can ask.

There's a knock at the door and Maggie comes in smiling gently. "Hi. My turn to take the girls when your ready."

"I think now?" Nor looks at Jax and he nods as he takes Lowie over.

He kisses her cheek. "Be good for aunty Mags."

"Always." Maggie smiles, taking Rosie as Jax brings her over, too. "I have my pager, okay?" She looks at Nor.

Enora smiles gently. "Okay." She nods. She sighs as the girls go, sanitising her hands and pushing herself to stand to clean down the glass before she opens the little doors again. "It's 13 days till Christmas... what are we going to do?" She looks at Jax.

He rests his arms on the glass and his chin on his arms. "Have it here? Bailey's office?" He suggests smiling small.

"Not much fun for the boys or the girls." She sighs. "I don't want to miss Christmas." She whispers looking at Gray. "But I'm not leaving him."

"You don't have to."

Enora spins around so fast. "What the fuck!"

 "What the fuck!"