episode eighty nine

Kerry Nguyen watches Enora as she plays with her keys, staring intently at them

Kerry Nguyen watches Enora as she plays with her keys, staring intently at them. "We've only seen each other a handful of times but I can't tell there's something bothering you."

Enora shrugs, not even glancing up. "It's whatever."

"You're usually an open book. I even recall you saying therapy is your therapy." Kerry smiles small.

Enora blushes; some people say shopping or swimming or running are their therapy but literal therapy is the only thing she's found that's a decent outlet. She takes a slow deep breaths. "3 months ago I was given a new life yet I feel... like... like I died."

"Can you elaborate?" Kerry watches her.

Enora exhales shakily. "I'm more alive than ever but I don't feel like myself. I'm not me - my heart isn't in it, quite literally. This isn't my heart. It doesn't work." She quickly wipes tears away before they can spill.

"You know that's more common than you realise, Enora." She says gently as she watches her patient grapple with her admission - it isn't new, but she's probably never admitted this.

"Yay." She says sarcastically.

Kerry smiles warmly. "Enora, this is an entirely natural response. A transplant isn't just a physical adaptation, it's an emotional one, a spiritual one. You have to understand your body once again while grappling with all the changes. And your emotions will be heightened further by those around you. What's going on at home right now? How has everyone been?"

Enora gives a sort of scoff-laugh. "Fantastic!" She leans her head back. "My middle son is currently in some sort of midlife crisis at 23 years old but he won't talk to me about it because I am SO fragile. My kids are grieving the fact their father has left them and one of them has to juggle that with his rawness at becoming a father soon. Oh! AND the army want my husband back. I just love that part." She snaps, the words just rolling out. She sighs and looks at Kerry. "Sorry..."

"Do not be sorry." Kerry shakes her head and crosses her legs beneath her. "That's a lot. Life doesn't stop even when we sometimes need it to. Knox, he's your middle isn't he? Let's see if we can figure out a way to help him, perhaps. That may ease some of the trouble you're having."

"Knox is in love with a woman 16 years older than him who happens to be his mentor. It literally feels like my parents love story happening again and I can assure you that didn't work out as literature would suggest." She laughs humourlessly.

"Derek and Meredith." Kerry nods slowly as she recalls an earlier session. "You're worried he will suffer for it?" Enora nods. "That's a fair worry. But tell me how he may be feeling."

Enora chews her cheek for a moment. "Terrified." She whispers. "He's terrified. There isn't a doubt about that, he only ever behaves so impulsively when he feels scared. And he never admits that fear until its too late."