God Complex

(AUGUST POV)

I stand beside Bellamy as we watch the people who died from the black rain be readied to be burned. I haven't spoken to anyone besides Bellamy and Mika. Really and truthfully, just Mika. Even then, I put on a fake smile when I talk to her.

"I know it took courage to be outside with us today, to stand together now in the face of grave danger and grave tragedy. On the Ark, rain like this was only a dream. Now it's a nightmare because we know it could turn at any second and kill us, just like it did to 18 of our brothers and sisters, who we honor today among them, Erin, Samuel, and Louis. May we meet again," Jaha says.
"May we meet again," The crowd repeats.

"Yu gonplei ste odon," I whisper out.
"Too many funerals, too little time," Jasper says as he walks past Bellamy and me.
"Show some respect for the dead," Bellamy says.
"What for? They don't mind," Jasper says.
"Hey, where you going?" Bellamy asks him.

"Wherever the day takes me," Jasper answers as he walks towards the gate.
"You got a chem tent?" I ask him.

"Nope," Jasper answers.
"Jasper. Jasper," I say as Bellamy and I chase after him.
"No one leaves without a chem tent," Bellamy says.
"Do you have a chem tent?" Jasper asks him.

"Yeah," Bellamy answers.
"Good. Then we have a chem tent," Jasper says.
"Maybe you didn't see how those people died," I say as I stop him.
"I saw. I'm just not afraid of it happening to me," Jasper says.
"Jasper, it's not safe out there," Bellamy argues.
"What else is new?" Jasper asks before he pushes the gate open. "Come on. We're losing daylight."
"Jasper. Jasper. Damn it," I say before I turn to Bellamy. "Do something, please." Bellamy then chases after Jasper. I walk over to Niylah as I watch her bless the bodies.
"Kriken sonraun en branon. Kom graun, oso na groun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op," Niylah says.
"That's beautiful," I tell her.
"What's it mean?" Harper asks as she joins us.

"From the earth, we will grow. From the ashes, we will rise," Niylah answers.
"What did you just say?" Jaha asks.

"Sorry. I didn't think you would mind if I..." Niylah says.

"'From the ashes, we will rise'. Where does that come from?" Jaha asks.

"Come from? You'd have to ask a Fleimkepa. All I know is it's what we say to ready our dead for the fire," Niylah explains.

"I need to speak with your father," Jaha says and I lead him to the Chancellor's office. Jaha explains what he thinks. "It's not a coincidence, Marcus. I need to speak with the Flamekeeper."
"You already found the Second Dawn bunker," My father says.
"It was..." I go to say.

"The wrong bunker," Jaha says. "Cadogan said only those who reached level 12 would be saved. This is level 11. What I found was a decoy built to keep the level 12 bunker from being overrun."
"How could you possibly know that?" My father asks.

"Because that's what I would do," Jaha answers.
"And you think Indra's daughter knows where the real bunker is?" I ask him.

"I think there's a reason 'from the ashes we will rise' became a grounder prayer just like I think there was a reason that a corporate logo became their sacred symbol," Jaha answers.
"The infinity sign," I say as I touch the back of my neck.
"Yes," Jaha says.
"I can reach out to Indra. She might know where Gaia is," My father says.
"I'll assemble a team," Jaha says.
"Jaha, wait. Polis is a war zone. You won't be welcome there," I tell him.
"So we travel light. For this, we'll need thinkers, not fighters," Jaha explains.

"You are in charge until I get back," My father tells me.

"No. You'll need my help to even get into Polis. Trikru will kill you because of the alliance with Azgeda. I still hold the flame and as the commander, Trikru will help us," I tell him.