Shifting Sands

(AUGUST POV)

I was helping Jackson take care of the people who had been hit by the blast, knowing the affect it could have on a person.

"Could've used you in the bunker, August," Jackson says as he turns to look at me.

"You had my father and Abby," I tell him as I look away from the person I was tending to, to see Jackson look down. "Why were they afraid?" Jackson starts walking over to another person. "Jackson. Hey. Please help me to understand what happened down there."

"Jackson," Miller says as he walks up.

"Hey," Jackson says as he rushes over to hug Miller. "Be safe, okay?" They kiss causing a small smile to come to my face glad that they had each other to survive.

"Miller," I say as he walks right pass me. "Miller." I follow after him. "Miller." I stop as I see other grounders with packs lining up. "Miller, wait."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Bellamy says as he steps in front of Miller causing him to stop. "Slow down. Where are you going?" I quickly catch up to them.

"Wish I could tell you, Bellamy," Miller answers.

"Octavia told you not to?" Bellamy asks him and I could tell that he was hurt.

"They're going to Shallow Valley," I say as I look at Miller before I take off to find Octavia.

"August," Miller says as he walks after me. "August!" Miller grabs my arm turning me to face him. "You can't just do whatever the hell you want here."

"I'm still Heda and Shallow Valley is my home. To stop me, you will have to kill me which kinda seems impossible at this point. Now, I'm guessing you're moving ahead of the army, to scout forward terrain. Which route are you taking?" I explain and Miller just stares at me. "It's sandstorm season. The wind moves in a predictable path. I've made the trip dozens of times. Trust me. You need my help or you all are going to die." Miller nods before leading me to where Octavia is with Bellamy not far behind.

"Why? What are you thinking?" I hear Indra ask as we enter the room.

"My question exactly," I agree as I stop behind Octavia.

"Miller, your orders were to go..." Kara starts.

"I know my orders. I think we should listen to what August has to say," Miller says causing Octavia to look between me and him.

"You can't take the sea route," I start with.

"Why? You said the sea is gone. Is it passable or not?" Indra questions.

"Yes, maybe. But you have to understand.." I start to explain.

"Maybe's good enough for me. Let's move out," Octavia says before heading for the door.

"O," Bellamy says as he steps in front of her but quickly has guns trained on him.

"Stand down," Octavia orders after a few seconds of staring at Bellamy. She let the power go to her head.

"Please, O, just hear us out," Bellamy pleads with her.

"O, we're all on the same team. No one wants to get to that valley more than me. It's my home," I tell her causing her to look at me. "But this way is too risky."

"Risky how?" Indra asks.

"Show me," Octavia says.

"You chose the shortest route, which makes sense, but the dry seabed is hit by almost constant sandstorms," I start explaining.