The Chosen

(AUGUST POV)

I was holding Mika as I stood beside Bellamy as we watched all of Skaikru be escorted into the main part of the bunker by the grounders. Jaha, Clarke, Abby, and my father stood beside us as all of Skaikru started shouting and trying to get out.

"Three out of four of these people are going to die tonight. You still think you made the right choice?" Jaha whispers to us. Abby, my father, and I head back into the office so we can talk with Raven.

"Just hang in there," Abby tells her.

"I'm coming to get you today," I tell Raven.
"You're sure about this?" Raven asks.

"Yes. We need you and not just for the hundreds of things we know you can fix, but for the thousands that we haven't even thought of yet," I tell her.

"Thank you, Bo," Raven says. I smile when she calls me by my middle name that she uses as my nickname. She's my best friend and I have to make sure she is safe no matter what.

"Rey, you saved my life in the city of light. Now it's time that I return the favor," I tell her.

"Damn, right," Raven says. "Thank you, Abby."
"I'm just glad you're alright," Abby says.
"You'll be, too. My brain is healing. The seizures have stopped. When I get there, we use the same procedure on you. You'll be cured," Raven explains.
"Cured? What's she talking about?" My father asks.

"We can talk about that when you get here," Abby tells Raven. The door opens as Bellamy, Jaha, and Clarke walk in.
"Our people are scared, Marcus. We need to tell them something," Jaha says.
"We just spoke with Raven. When she gets here, we'll have all our essential personnel," My father says.
"How many spots does that leave us with?" Clarke asks.

"Including the essential personnel and the places that we're holding for the children under 16, that leaves us with 80," Abby answers.
"I can't believe we're talking about sending 364 of our own people to their deaths," Jaha says.
"You're lucky they're giving us any space in this bunker at all," I tell him.
"Look. I don't like it any more than you do," My father says.
"Then let's fight this," Jaha says.
"No. Any sort of resistance will cost us all our lives. Our best course of action is to hold a lottery for the remaining spots," My father explains.
"It's not going to work, Marcus," Jaha argues.
"That was your idea," I sneer at him.
"That was for the chance to survive," Jaha says.
"And how is this any different?" Abby asks.

"Until 20 minutes ago, our people believed they were safe. They let down their guard. They picked their bunks. They unpacked their bags. They imagined their futures. You try to rip that from them now, and, believe me, they will fight," Jaha answers.

"And whose fault is it really?" I ask him as I glare at him and Clarke.
"No one's saying it's gonna be easy, but we need to make the people listen to reason," My father says.
"Someone still needs to get Raven," Bellamy says.

"I already volunteered to go get her," I say. "Alone."
"I'm going with you," Bellamy says.

"What..." I go to say.

"Just don't fight it," Bellamy says and I let out a sigh before nodding.
"And I'll join you both," Clarke says.
"No. Someone else can go with them," Abby says.
"Mom, look, Raven needs our help. I know the way to the island. I need to do this," Clarke says.
"Well, you be safe. There'll be a place for all of you when you get back," My father says as he walks over to Bellamy and me.
"I'll meet you in the airlock," Abby says and Clarke walks out the door. My father rests a hand on each of mine and Bellamy's shoulders.

"Take care of each other," My father says. Bellamy and I nod before Bellamy walks over to Mika.

"Take care of Mika for me, please," I tell my father and he nods. "I love you, dad. May we meet again."