CHAPTER 39

(6 YEARS LATER)

ANGELO ROI IBARRA-LUCAS, ScD
(Doctor of Science)

I glanced around. It had been quite some time since my last visit here. Not much had changed, at least not at the airport. It appeared almost identical to how I remembered it, six years ago.

"King!" a familiar voice exclaimed as I descended the escalator. "Over here, King!"

I smiled upon spotting Jane amidst the bustling crowd. Adjusting my eyeglasses to get a better view, I made my way towards her. She hurried over, and in no time, she was enveloping me in a warm embrace.

"Oh my god, King. I've missed you!"

I chuckled, reciprocating the hug. "I've missed you too, Jane."

I hadn't divulged my whereabouts or the course of my life to her until the day before my flight back to the Philippines. I had been exceedingly cautious in our email and social media correspondence to avoid revealing my location. My secrecy had been well-practiced.

"Ang taray ng accent!" She laughed. "Kung sabagay, six years yun kaya lalong namilipit 'yang dila mo. Grabe ka, King. Six years! How could you do that to me? Talagang nilihim mo kung nasaan ka hanggang pauwi ka na. Kakatampo ka."

I smiled. "I'm sorry, Jane."

She playfully swatted my arm. "Anyway, you've become quite the handsome devil."

"You always say that, Jane. Nothing's changed."

"Everything's changed. Look at you." She scrutinized me as though conducting a thorough examination. "Buzz cut, platinum hair, eyeglasses, manly stubbles. tattooed arms, fairer skin, fit body. And you're saying that nothing's changed? And wait, have you grown taller?"

I laughed. "I highly doubt it. Where's your car, Jane?"

"Over there." She took my suitcase as we exited the arrivals area. "Let me help you. You talk, King. How's London?"

"Absolutely splendid. Beautiful place. Charming people..."

Jane raised an eyebrow. "Hmmm? Please let me know that what I am thinking is wrong." She chuckled.

"What? Oh, come now. You must know I've had the pleasure of meeting some charming Englishmen."

Jane laughed again. "Naku, sinasabi ko na nga ba. Well King, I'm so glad that you're back. 6 years in France, and 6 years in London. Grabe, how those beautiful places steal you away from me."

"I'm contemplating where to spend the next six years." I jestingly remarked as Jane opened the car door.

"Pussycat, pussycat, where have you been? I've been to London to visit the queen," Jane sang as we settled into her car. She even modulated her voice, sounding like a child or a chipmunk. It was quite the spectacle.

"You're such a goofball, Jane. Stop it, for heaven's sake," I said with a chuckle.

"It's good to see you laughing, King."

Jane drove on. I gazed outside, and, much like the airport, the scenery appeared largely unchanged. Billboards adorned the roadside, including one for AG Icarus, a pharmaceutical and healthcare brand that had gained recent prominence.

"Oh, hold on," I interjected, recalling something. I reached into my handbag and retrieved a package containing bottles of multivitamins and dietary supplements, all from AG Icarus Laboratories. "Here. For you."

"Wow," she exclaimed as she accepted the package, recognizing it instantly. As we stopped at a red light, she had a moment to admire the logo's design. With her fingertips, she traced the silver wings encircling the name. "AG Icarus. This is expensive, King."