CHAPTER 44

ANGELO ROI

The number you have dialed is currently unattended or out of coverage area. Please call again later.

I put the phone down and continued driving. I wondered what was going on. I'd been trying to get hold of Jane, maybe invite her to dinner, but I couldn't seem to reach her. I wanted to talk about what had happened the other night—my confusion and Uncle Marco's cryptic words. But she'd turned her phone off. She wasn't usually like that.

I decided to visit her restobar instead, but just as I passed the supermarket, I spotted someone familiar. I slowed the car and lowered the window.

"Azalea."

She frowned, glancing at the car before bending slightly to see who had called her. Her face lit up when she saw me. She looked as if she wanted to wave, but her arms were full with two large paper bags. "Oh, hi, Kuya Angelo!"

I got out of the car and took the groceries from her.

"There you go, thanks, Kuya," she said, shaking her hands, clearly relieved of the weight. "Saan ka pupunta?"

"What about you? Where are you heading?" I asked, dodging her question.

"Pauwi na sana. Nag-aabang lang ako ng taxi."

"What happened to your car?"

She rolled her eyes. "Dinala ni Jared. May problema yung kanya. He was supposed to pick me up, but then he called to say he couldn't leave the office yet—may meeting daw with investors. Kung kailan nakapamili na ako."

Jared, Azalea's husband, was a businessman—or at least, that's what Uncle Marco had told me.

"Well, in that case, why don't I give you a lift?" I said, opening the back door and loading the groceries into the car. She didn't protest and got in when I opened the front door for her.

"Thank you, Kuya Angelo."

"Are you in a hurry?" I asked as I started driving. "I was thinking of grabbing something to eat before I saw you. Perhaps you'd like to join me? You could recommend a good place."

"I'd love to, Kuya," she replied, her voice light. "Tamang tama, si Jared won't be home for a while. I'd only get bored waiting. And Jace isn't due home until later either."

"Jace is your son, right?"

She beamed and nodded. "Yes, my joy and sunshine."

"Where is he now?"

"Kina Mama. You know, Kuya Angelo, if it were up to my parents, they wouldn't give him back. They adore him too much."

I smiled. "I can picture the looks on Aunt Kevin and Uncle Nelson's faces. Congratulations, Azalea."

"Thank you, Kuya. But enough about me. How are you? You're the one who disappeared for six years, yet here I am doing all the talking."

I didn't respond, and she seemed to realise she might have said too much.

"Oh, sorry, Kuya. Got a bit carried away."

"No, it's fine. Don't worry."

"Si Mareng Jane, Kuya, how is she?" she asked, changing the subject. "She doesn't seem to be active on social media lately."

"I'm not sure. I've been trying to ring her, but she's not picking up. Perhaps she's busy."

"Maybe. Oh, Kuya, would you like to try that?" she asked, pointing to a dimly lit restaurant outside the window.