DH 2 // 53 - Deadly Escape from Gringotts

The trio watches the goblins go and exchange a glance. Just then a moan is heard, deep and unsettling, coming from down the tunnel. Ron cocks his ear in disbelief.

"No... It's not possible." He muttered seeming to catch the attention of Altair as well.

"What is it?" Altair asked him as they continued to walk through the deep end of the tunnel.

Ron moves forward slowly, squinting as something massive shifts heavily. Altair followed him as well as he heard some chains clink. They both looked at a giant dragon tethered to the ground, bar access to a deep vault. Its scales are pale and flaky and its eyes are milky.

"It can't be... Is that?" Altair mumbled.

"Bloody hell. That's a Welsh Green." Ron nodded, confirming Altair's words.

"It looks like it's been down here forever." Hermione chimed in, looking at the dragon as well.

Hinges squeal sharply and they jump. They watch Griphook -- in the shadows as he takes something from a wooden box on the wall. An odd-looking metal instrument. As he steps into the light, he tosses it to Hermione. She glances from it to Griphook and sees him eyeing her with a strange intensity.

"Go on." The goblin told her.

She looks unsure and then gives it a shake. A shrill ringing echoes of the rocky passage, eerie and unpleasant. The dragon rears back instantly, howling in fear. Then, as the ringing subsides, it settles. Ron nods knowingly.

"It's been trained to expect pain when it hears the noise," Ron spoke as Altair looked at him.

"That's... cruel." He said to him.

Hermione's eyes flash to Ron and Altair and then to the scars on the dragon's face and neck.

"That's barbaric... I..." She stuttered, feeling horrified, and handed back the instrument to Griphook.

"We'll only have a few seconds. In other words... they'll be no do-overs. Understood?" The goblin said to them.

The four of them eyed the dragon and nodded at him.

"Ready, Bogrod?" He asked his fellow goblin who was under the Imperius curse.

"Oh, yes. Of course."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bogrod holds up his hand and waggles it. Griphook nods, and eyes the dragon. Its eyes glimmered angrily. He raises the instrument... and started to shake it. The cacophony is murderous. Harry, Ron, Altair, and Hermione grimaced. The dragon roared hoarsely, then slowly retreats. He then strides forth, blissfully ignoring the dragon's bobbing head and presses his hand to the vault's door. It melted in front of them and they quickly rushed inside the Lestranges' vault. It then re-seals itself and the surroundings turned dark.