Chapter 7- Small steps

Ava heard a knock on her door, lifting her head up to see who it was.
"You ready to try walk Dr. Bekker?" Sam asked, entering her room without waiting for a answer.
"Don't think I'll be making it too far Sam" Ava smiled, holding up her cuffed wrist. She was un-cuffed every hour or so and put into a wheelchair to be brought to the bathroom.
Sam chuckled slightly, pulling on his gloves.
"Okey lets get through this Ava. I need you to remember three words for me, Ball, house and tree."
Ava nodded, repeating the words in her head.
"Okey, now look into light" He tilted Ava's head up by her chin, getting her to look into the light. Ava flinched slightly at the brightness.
"Yeah, your not used to bright lights anymore because you've been inside to long. It'll come back, you'll get used to it" he told her confidently.
"You've been getting any migraines, blurry vision, dizzy spells"
"Yeah, headaches and my vision blurs around the edges sometimes. But no dizzy spells" Ava rubbed her eyes with her free hand.

"Okey so just follow my finger" Dr. Abrams said.
Ava turned her head all the way to the left and followed sams finger across the room. As her eyes passed the doorway she froze, spotting Connor watching her from to doorway.
"Dr. Bekker" Sam reminded her, turning to see Connor in the door.
"Sorry" she shook her head, focusing on Sams finger again.
"Okey Ava, everything seems good, and your scans came back clear so I think we'll try standing and taking a few steps. We need to see if nerve damage has been done" he said, rooting around in his pocket. He pulled out a small key ring with a single key on it. Abrams inserted it into the lock and opened it like a click. Ava took her freed wrist and rubbed it.
"Okey lets do this" he took her hands in his and Ava swung her legs off the bed.
She looked away from Sam to meet Connors face, he was leaning back against the doorframe, he was resting chin in his fingers, his eyes fixed on Ava.
Sam turned to look at Connor again, "Dr. Rhodes do you have something you would like to say?"
Connor looked between the pair, "Just observing"
"If you keep lingering in doorways people will think you an awful pervert" Ava told him sassily.

Sam looked back to Ava who sighed and shook her head, telling him it was fine.
"Okey Ava pull yourself up using my hands."
Ava squeezes his hands, weakly pulling herself up. It took a moment but Ava managed to get herself up right on trembling legs.
"Okey Ava I'm going to take a step back and your going to take a step towards me" he told her, shuffling backwards. Ava watched her feet, telling them to move forward as she tried to lift her foot. Ava's legs begs to shake as she gripped Sams hands tighter,being to tilt to one side. Before she could fall Ava felt two arms wrap around her from the side and she still held onto Sams hand. Before Ava could even open her eyes again she knew who's arms they were from the familiar sent that engulfed her.

Ava opened her eyes, her head was against Connors chest and she could her his heartbeat. She looked up to meet Connors eye, they weren't stormy and angers like they had been moments ago when he stood at the door, they were clear with panic.
His hands were on the small of her back and her hip, supporting her upright.
"Dr. Rhodes do I interrupt you patient care?" Sam asked Rhetorically.
"No, so refrain from doing so with mine" he said, walking Ava back so she could sit on her bed.

Sam lead Connor out of the room so he could talk to him.
"She is never going to get better with you watching her twenty-four seven and giving her death glares from her doorway. Recovery after an injury like this is never easy without your intimidation" he snapped at him.
Sam returned to Ava, slamming the door behind him. Connor peeked his head through the window, watching Sam tell Ava something that made her nod.
Ava took his hands again, pulling herself up she wobbled, before steadying herself. Sam said something to her and he shuffled back. Ava slowly lifted her foot and moved them to take three small steps. Abram seemed happy with her improvement and helped her back to bed.
Connor nodded to himself, taking in the knowledge that Ava could still walk, but unsure as to what to do with it. He disappeared down the corridor before Sam could see him.