Chapter 85- A day at the Zoo

It was early in the morning when Ava knocked on Natalies door. Natalies great aunt had passed away a few days prior, she and Will were making the three hour journey to Peoria. They'd ask Ava and Connor to babysit, knowing it was a lot on their day off but they happily agreed.

So Ava stood in Natalies living room watching as Will and Connor fought to buckle in a child's car seat.
"It's not that hard right? It can't be" Ava said, taking a sip of her coffee.
Nat glanced out the window, "oh god no" she shook her head.
"It's simple"
Ava chuckled and shook her head as the boys finally got the seat in place.
"Remind me to be the one that puts that back" Nat said walking into the kitchen.

"Here's Owens bag" she handed him a small Spider-Man backpack.
"It has his books, hat, scarf, some snacks, a water bottle and a spare pair of socks incase it snows, he doesn't like his socks getting wet"
"And here are his epi pens, he can't have anything with strawberries or strawberry purée. So if he has anything-"
"Natalie" Ava stoped her.
"Breathe"
Nat took a deep breath.
Ava took the epi pens from her, "he'll be fine" she assured her, placing the pens in her purse.
She nodded, "I know"
"I need a pick me up, how are you and Connor?"
"Eh good, since the trials over" Ava drank some of her coffee.
"We actually took a trip to Toronto, just the two of us. It was nice I'd never been"
"Just the two of you?"
"Yeah" she blushed, "we stayed in a cabin. There was a lot of snow"
"You're still getting used to that huh?"
"Yeah, weren't many snow storms south of the equator"

Before they could continue the conversation any further the front door opened and closed.
"We did it" Will called out and the women moved to the living room to see them.
"I'll get Owen" Will said, touching her arm before moving upstairs.
"Hey" Connor breathed, his cheeks and nose were slightly red from the cold and the workout of putting the car seat in.
"Hi" Ava touched his cheek, feeling the cool bite her fingertips she shorty pressed her lips to his.
Small feet ran down the steps, will following shortly after.
Owen pause and looked between Ava and Connor for a moment, sceptical if this was the same women he had meant at Christmas. Ava's smile fatlered as she realised what he was doing. "This is Ava, from Christmas, remember Owen?" Natalie stepped in, coming down the hall.
"Ava!" He came pounding down the hall, throwing himself against her legs.
"Hey little guy" she touched his head.

"We'll be back around dinner time" Will told them.
"Bye Owen" Natalie scoped him up in her arms, burying her face in his cheek.
"Bye little bud" Will kissed his forehead.
"Be good for Mommy" she tussled his hair before letting him.
Natalie put Owen back on his feet and opened the door for the couple. Ava watched him, making sure he didn't slip on the steps as they walked to the car. Ava got him buckled in and waved goodbye to Nat and Will before getting in the car.

Connor pulled off from the curb and slip a hand onto Ava's thigh as he looked back to check on Owen.
"Ready to go bud?" He smiled through the rear mirror.
"Were are he going?"
"It's a surprise Owen" Ava told him, "you hungry?"
"Thirsty" he replied.
Ava opened his backpack at was at her feet and took out a spider man themed water bottle, passing it back to him.
"Thank you Auntie Ava"

They'd dive for a short while. Owen erupting in the back of the car when he realised their destination
"Zoo, Zoo, Zooooooo!" He cheered, kicking his legs.
"What do you want to go see first, Owen?" Connor asked looking at the map as they stepped into the park.
Ava gently took it from his hands and flipped it around.
"Ah" he nodded.
"African safari, African safari!" He grabbed Ava's hand and rugged her along.
Ava stumbled after him and reached back for Connors hand.
Owen lead their expertly the rough the park to the Safari. Leading them to the elephants, leopards, giraffes and African buffalo.