Chapter 78- Bunny

With Ava getting better Connor began to slowly go back to work, only being allowed a small amount of time off to care for her. She didn't mind though, she's wake he woke out of habit. While he showed and got ready she'd make them breakfast, a large vanilla latte in a to go cup, kept warm by the machine. Connor would come out ready for work, they would have breakfast together. Connor would always fish first, he'd stand, put his plate in the sink and come back to Ava, kissing her cheek before taking his coffee and leaving for work.

He never worked long, or not compared to what they'd normally work. He'd been gone for five to six hours. Ava kept busy, she did the dishes and any laundry, then she'd leave dressed in jacket despite it getting warmer in the city. Ava went to the grocery store about ten blocks away, she could have driven but she liked to get out. She bought some things for dinner before taking the walk back to the apprenmet. She smiled to the doorman as she came in, letting herself into the house.
Ava did some light cooking before getting changed into a pair of jeans and a quarter zip and leaving the house for the second time.

She rounded the street corner, spotting a familiar brunette outside a cafe.
"Ava!" Arms came around her, holding her tight.
"Hi Nat" she sighed, wrapping her arms around her she smiling over her shoulder.
Natlie pulled back, "how are you?"
"I'm good, yeah" she smiled.
"Let's get seated" Nat nodded.
They went inside and order, Nat got a coffee and a pain une chocolate, and Ava got a hot chocolate and a almond croissant.
It was a quite cafe off one of the busier streets of Chicago, Nat had picked it out for them to talk in peace.

"So how things" Ava smiled as they sat with their drinks.
"Good, Will and I are still going strong though Owens still adjusting"
Ava raised a brow for her to continue.
"He threw a book at him" she shrugged.
"What?" Ava chokes a bit of her drink.
"I always read him a goodnight story, will didn't know that" she explained, taking a night of her pastry.
"So how are you and Connor?"
"Good" Ava nodded.
"Are you two back together? He looked pretty rough while you were gone, grey really"
Ava pursed dry lips, she could tell Connor had changed while she ways gone.
"We're still living together, but, well it's complicated- I'm still adjusting"
"I heard you had a hard time leaving the house? Will mentioned it when he said you were sick"
"Yeah, I did. I'm better now. Connor and I went out into the snow, I was able to actually leave the building" she explained.
"And we kissed" she took a bite of her croissant.
"Ohh, okey" Nat leaned back a took a sip of her drink, happy to see her friend rebuild her relationship.

"How are you holding up?" Their conversation took a deeper turn after a while.
"As best I can I suppose"
"We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to" Nat started.
"It's fine, I know you have questions" Ava assured her.
"New look" she asked nodding her head.
Ava absentmindedly ran a hand through her curls, "Hank doesn't want it dyed back till after the trial"
'Any word on when that'll be?"
"A few weeks, give or take" she shrugged, not really knowing herself.
"Forgot what everyone says, brunettes have more fun anyways"
Ava smiled to her friends attempt to lighten the mood, pressing her pal as against her warm mug.

*

Ava said her goodbyes to Nat about two hours before Connor would be back, so she would have time to walk home, get changed and do a few things on her laptop.

She was crossed legged on the bed when she heard the front door open and close.
"Avey, I'm home" he called.
Ava pushes her laptop from her lap.
"Hi" she came up to wrap her arms around him.
"Hey" he dropped his bag to the floor, wrapping his arms around her.
Connnor buried his face in her neck.
"I missed having you here when I came home" he said softly. "Miss having you at work as well"
"You tired from work?" She asked, pulling back slightly.
"No, not really, why what did you have in mind" he said, knowing her too well.
"Dinner? I thought we could make something together, something South African?" She said holding his hand hopefully.
Connor smiled deeply. " that sounds lovely Aves"
"I just want to shower and I'll be back" he placed a hand on her arm.