Chapter 81- Trial

In the early hours of the morning their was a knock in the apartment door.
"Hey" Connor smiled and let Ava in.
"Hi" she said, her cheeks red from exercise.
"I didn't think you'd be up this early" he said, walking with her to the kitchen.
"Yeah, I went for a run. Wanted to blow off some steam" she leaned with her palms against the counter. Her shoulders were tense and muscles ridged.
"Aves, you need to relax, it'll be okey" Connor placed his hands on Ava's shoulder, pushing his fingers into her tense tissue. Ava exhaled blissfully as she melted under Connors hands, her shoulders relaxing and head tilting back. She met Connors eye, her gaze leading down to his lips. A sharp knock on the door made Ava jump, bursting their bubble of tranquility. Ava put a hand onto of Connors, "I should get ready" she breathed and his hands fell from her back. Connor watch Ava leave the room before going to answer the door.

"Robert, thank you for coming" he shook his hand.
"Who are you and what have you done with that little boy I used to know. He was only yay high" Robert held his hand low down.
They both laughed and moved deeper into the house. Robert has been an old family friend, opting to take charge on such a big case with all the Guaranteed media attention. This was the case shaping Chicago.

They sat in the living area together discussing the day ahead.
"Thank you again for taking this case" Connor said.
"A case like this? I'd be a fool to let it slip by"
"So how have you been?"
Connor didn't want to talk about him but he supposed he had to.
"Medical life treating you well?"
"It's been good to me" he confirmed.
"I have to admit I had always hoped you'd become a lawyer"
They shared a laugh and Connor moved to redirect the conversation.

The bathroom door unlocked and Ava stepped out in a towel, her long hair secured in a second one. Ava briefly met Connors eye and glanced at Robert before quickly making it to their room. Connor faced forward again to see Robert watch Ava as she walked away, his eyes running down her figure as an anger bubbled in Connors stomach.
Conner cleared this throat loudly and Robert snapped his head back around,
"Right" he cleared his throat, "so here's the plan"

*

Connor and Ava drove to court house together that morning, shortly after Robert left.
"Pull over" Ava said suddenly.
"What?"
"Pull over" she repeated and Connor safely pulled onto the side of the road.
"Do you think you're going to be sick?" He asked.
"I can't breathe" she gasped. Rolling down her window all the way.
"Shh" Connor put a hand between her shoulders, pushing her head between her knees.
"Deep breath Aves" he rested his head on the side of her chair.
"Here" he unbuckled her seatbelt. He opened her arms and Ava sat back up, leaning into him over the console.
"You are going to be fine, we'll get in and get out. And when we go home we'll get a takeout and I'll draw you a nice bath, mhm?"
Ava nodded against his chest. "I just don't want to see them" she sniffled.
Connor don't. "Hey, if they call them to the stand, you don't look at them. I'll be in the room with you. Just keep looking at me, okey?"
"Okey" Ava agreed quietly.

Ava sat back in her seat and looked out the window, the wind rustling her hair gently.
"Connor". She began, a finger against her lips.
"They um, they drugged us. That's why I was so afraid of Will in the hospital. The needles" she sniffles. "I just wanted to you to find out from me, before we went into the trial" she, looking to her palms in her lap.
Connor took her hand in his and gave it a squeeze, "thank you for sharing that with me'
"Are you ready to go?" Connor asked.
Ava nodded "ready as I'll ever be"
Connor rolled up Ava's window and pulled back onto the road, letting her keep his hand as a support. They passed the court house where a small sea of reporters we're swarming the front door. Ava swallowed a lump in her throat and squeezed Connors hand.
"Don't worry Aves, they won't be allowed in the court room" he assured her as they pulled into the underground car park.