Chapter 70- Home

"Connor" Ava said as he moved to his locker again.
"Connor"
"I know, I know. Just a second" he wound a scarf around her neck. Ava was dress in miss-matched sweatpants from Connors locker, his winter jacket, a hat and scarf.
"There no way your car is parked so far away to justify this" she said, pulling the scarf lower on her neck.
"Just let me fuss" he smoothed out the front of the scarf.

Ava had been discharged and Connor had been given the rest of his shift off to care for her. He lead her out of the doctors lounge down a staff corridor and into the underground car park. His car was parked only a few meters away from the exit, just like Ava had guessed. When they got into the car Connor turned on the heated seat and glanced down to check Avas seatbelt before pulling off. Ava watched Chicago pull past her as they sped home.
Home.

Ava picked at her nail beds as they drove in silence.
"Can I turn on the radio?" She asked softly.
"Sure, yeah. You know you don't need to ask" his lips curled into a gentle smile.
Ava started at the screen for a moment, trying to remember how you turned on the radio in this spaceship.
"Here" he hit a series of buttons, "what station do you want?"
"News, I want to know what's been going on"
Connor turned on the major Chicago news channel and set the volume on low.
Ava listened to all the stories, good and bad until they arrive home.

They got the lift from the car park up to their apartment. Connor unlocked the door, stepping aside to let Ava in. She slowly passed the threshold, entering the familiar apartment. Ava heard soft footsteps as Connor followed in behind, silently waiting.
"It- It looks the same" Ava croaked, turning her head to Connor.
"I wasn't going to redecorate while you were gone" he told her.
Ava gave a short nod before walking deeper into the apartment. She wandered down the hall until she came to a door, with a gentle push it gave in and opened into their bedroom.

Ava hesitated before stepping in, it felt so invasive now, to be here, like it wasn't hers anymore. Ava looked around the spacious bedroom, her features softening as she remembered the memories here.
"If you wanted to borrow something you could have just asked" she joked, her eyes falling to her dresser that had clearly been ransacked.
"Oh, I em, yeah" Connor placed a hand on the back of his neck before meeting Ava's smirked and forming one of his own.

"Do you want something eat, or drink- or do you want to rest?"
"Can I have a bath?" She turned to face him fully.
"Of course, yeah. I'll make one for you" he touched her arm briefly before going into their en-suite. Ava took the opportunity to have a second look around the house. She stripped of her jacket, scarf and hat and hung the up on the coat rack by the door. Ava tightened the drawstring on her trousers before returning deeper into the apartment. It was the same, the furniture, decorations, the smell. It was just like how she remembered.

"Ava" Connor called from down the hall, drawing her back into their bedroom. He stepped out of the bathroom, his arms and hands damp with water, his sleeves rolled up.
"I let the bottle of vanilla body wash next to the bath if you want to add some more" Connor gestured to the bottle next to the tub, a towel rolled up for Ava rest her neck on.
"Thank you" she said softly, tugging at the sleeves of the borrowed hoodie on her body.
"I'll, I'll  give you some privacy" Connor wiped his damp palms on his scrubs bottoms, still dressed for work.

Connor left the door a jar and Ava carefully watched the still water. She turned her back to tub and pulled her hoodie over her frame, the trousers falling as soon as she tugged at the drawstrings. Ava un-velcroed her split, setting it safely on the countertop.
Ava lifted her legs over the edge of the tub, gasping as the hot water burned at her ankle.
"Are you alright?" Connor knocked on the door loudly, keeping his gaze lowered.
"You can look, Connor" came a worn voice .
Connor glanced up, finding Ava curled in a ball at the edge of the tub.
"Are you okey?"
"Yeah, I just didn't expect it to be so warm" she said, and Connor could see the flush in her checks from the water.
"Too warm?" Connor asked worriedly, he tried not to make it too cold like how he liked it.
"No, it's perfect. I'm just not used to the heat"
Connor lips pursed into a frown, his brows sinking down his face.