Chapter 40- Eve

"Merry Christmas Eve, Avery" Connor welcomed her as she came through the door. Connor and Ava had agreed to both do the night shift in order to have Christmas off, but at the last minute Ava got pulled into an emergency surgery, spending well over 12 hours in the hospital. "Happy Christmas Eve, Cowboy" she fell into his arms.

"Do you need anything?" He asked into her hair.
"Some pyjamas, a sandwich and you, in our bed" she listed into his chest.
Connor chuckled, pulling away from her neck.
"In that order?"
"Yes. I'll get the pj's" she patted his arm, shuffling away to their room.
Connor shook his head and made Ava a grilled cheese sandwich with some Pringles on the side. Connor came into their room to see Ava smoothing out her pyjamas over herself stomach. "C'mon" he tilted his head to their bed.

Ava got in and sat up against the headboard, pulling the covers over her cold legs. Connor sat next to her and placed the sandwich on her lap.
"Thank you" she rubbed her eyes sleepily. Ava picked up the sandwich and took a bit of it with her eyes closed, she smiled slightly.
"Good?" Connor asked, brushing her hair out of her face.
"Very good" she took two more bites.
Ava ate a crisp and passed one to Connor. They ate in silence and when they were done Connor took the plate from her lap and placed it on the bedside table. Ava lay down on the mattress tugging Connors waist band on his sweatpants to get him to lay with her.
"Is this everything?" He asked as Ava lay her head on his chest and threw her thigh over his hips.
"This is everything I needed" she confirmed, snuggling into his chest.

Connor ran his hand up and down her side, "we don't have to go for drinks tonight if you don't want to"
Ava lifted her head off his chest slightly, "No, no, I want to go. This is probably the last time everyone will be together for a while"
"Yeah, Nat and Will invited us over for Christmas dinner, I meant to say it to you" he whispered.
"Mhm, that'll be nice" she said softly before her breath steadied off.

*

"Avey, Avery" someone whispered, shaking her shoulder slightly.
"Connor" Ava rolled on her side, wrapping herself tighter in the covers. Ava felt a weight leave in bed and smiled in success that Connor had left her to sleep. Two hands wrapped securely around Ava's ankles, tugging her out of bed before she could even register what had happened. "Connor!" She shrieked as the cold hit her.
Connor pushed her ankles to her bum and leaned over her.
"We need to get ready Avery" he smiled down at her.
"I'm up, Im up" she confirmed, pushing off the bed.

Ava showered quickly and went to her wardrobe to pick out a dress deep red in colour. She smoothed the fabric over her front like she had her pyjamas. She twisted and pinned her hair out of her face before sliding in some hoop earrings. Ava spotted the box that Connor had given her set on her dresser, she opened it and carefully closed the clasp at the back of her neck. Ava touched the pearls gently before slipping on her heels.
Connor exhaled when he saw her come out of their room, "My beautiful girl" he said as she came up to him. Taking her in his arms he lifted her slightly off the ground like he had the night of the ballet, kissing her passionately.

"Come on, were going to be late" she put a hand to his chest and he returned her to her feet, stealing one last kiss. Connor drove them to Mollys and Ava kept her hand on his knee, her eyes closed. The sun had set on Chicago, covering it in a snowy blanket of darkness. Connor helped Ava out of the car and wrapped an arm around her as they walked up to the steps. Molly's was alive and the busiest themed every seen in, there were people everywhere from med, fire and pd.

Ava spotted Natalie and waved, squeezing Connors and before going over to the girls. Connor spotted Will in another corner and went over to him.
"Hey man" Will patted him on the back, handing him a beer.
"Oh no, I'm driving" Connor declined it, taking a non alcoholic one instead.
"So, you and Ava" Adam smirked knowingly.
"You never beat around the bush do you Ruz?" Connor laughed.
"Hey, your a lucky guy" Kelly elbowed him.
"I know I am" Connor glanced over his shoulder to spot Ava smiling and hugging all of her work friends.
"So you and her?" Ethan said sceptically, "after everything?"
"We're happy" Connor said shortly, taking a sip of his drink, dismissing the convosation.