Chapter 41- Christmas

Ava woke up to something warm on her forehead, then cheek and nose. Slowly here eyes fluttered open and focused on her surroundings. Connor pulled back slightly but Ava pulled him back down, finally getting a kiss on the lips.
"Someone's in a good mood" she sleepily grinned, draping an arm around the back of his neck.
"Well it is a special day after all" he kissed her again.
Ava pulled back and gave him a puzzled look. Ava's eyes went wide as she remembered.
"Merry Christmas, Avery" Connor chuckled.
Ava lay back on the bed, pulling Connor on top of her.
"Merry Christmas cowboy" she breathed, wanting to stay under the covers with him forever and ever.

Connor did pull back eventually and Ava pouted up at him. Connor laughed, covering her lips with his once more before retrieving something from his bedside locker. Ava sat up in bed and Connor placed an item wrapped in tissue paper on her lap.
"Connor, we said no gifts" she reminded him.
"I know, I know, but this is different" he pointed to the paper, waiting for Ava to open it. Ava folded back the tissue paper to reveal a bouquet of flowers made from rolled and folded paper.
"You- Did you- You made this?" Ava stammered in shock, gently holding her gift, afraid to damage it.
"Yeah, what can I say, I'm good with my hands" he pushed his shoulder against hers.
Ava rolled her eyes and shook her head, her smiling never fading at her gift.
"They're gorgeous, thank you" she stroked one of the fake petals gently before leaning over to kiss him.

"Wait, your hands, oh Connor the paper cuts" she frowned unhappy that Connor had been hurt making her gift.
"That reaction was worth every one" he silenced her worries with a kiss.
Ava pulled back and smile, there noses still touching. She reached into her bedside cabinet and pulled out a box. Ava smiled softly, holding it out for him. Connor slide the box open with his thumb, revealing the watch his father had gifted him years ago.
"I found it in your draw when I was putting laundry away, I brought the strap in to be fixed. It has broken, I figured you'd forgotten about it"
Connor faintly smiled down at the watch in his hand, Ava had the strap replaced with a leather one. The origin chain had broken off the night Connor came back from the hospital after Ava. He'd scrubbed so hard to try get the blood from it that the link had came loose and he'd hidden it away in shame in his dresser. Completely forgotten about until now.
"Thank you, Avery. You're amazing" he kissed her passionately, finally making it out of bed. Ava stayed there for a few more minutes stroking her flowers contently, this was the first handmade gift she had every received. Ava gently placed them in her dresser, making her they were away from any liquids before padding into join Connor in the shower.

*

"What should I wear to Nat and Will's?" Ava stuck her head out of their bedroom.
"What did you wear to your last Christmas party?" Connor asked.
"A thong bikini and button down shirt, because it was barrii and 36°C" Ava smirked.
"I'll pick something out" Connor nodded, getting up from the sofa.
Connor went to her wardrobe and had a look through her clothes, he'd seen them all while secretly moving her clothes to his room.
"What about this? It'll keep you warm" Connor held out a white knitted jumper.
"Okey, I just wasn't sure how formal this things was"
"Don't worry Avery, it won't be formal"
"I know I've just never done, a Christmas dinner with friends, never mind as a couple" Ava pursed her lips.
"C'mon, Nat and Will love you, it'll be fine" he kissed her forehead lightly before leaving her to get changed.

Ava ran her hand through her curls that went well past her shoulders by now. She wore the jumper Connor hand picked with some black jeans and trainers.
"I'm ready when you are" he tilted her chin up and kissed her, "you look cute today"
"And you look handsome in that shirt" she kissed his nose before walking out the door.

Connor drove them to Will and Nats and they hopped of out the car onto the sidewalk.
"Ava!" Nat called from the top of her drive way, running down to throw her arms around Ava.  Ava stood slightly stunned for a second before wrapping her arms around Nat.
"Merry Christmas"
"Merry Christmas" Natalie pulled back, wrapping her arm around Ava's waist she guided her up to the house. Connor followed behind and waved to Will who was sporting a wonky Santa hat.