Chapted 13- Piano

It was early in the morning when Ava wandered out into the corridor. Their was a common room for all the psych patients to have group therapy in, so tiny Ava was thankfully excused from. She wandered into now, figuring their would be no one there at this hour in the morning. The room had no door so Ava walked straight in. There was a T.V in one corner that was stuck on the same channel, a stain proof sofa with no removable pillows, some board games glued to a table and a few chair scattered around the place.

Ava's eyes fell to one object that she didn't expect; a piano. Upon further inspection it was nailed to the ground, and the top of the piano was nailed shut so you couldn't get to the strings. Ava sat down at the little bench and lifted the cover. She ran her fingers lightly along the keys, it was an older piano, one that had probably been donated to the hospital.

She played on cord, immediately hearing that it was out of key. Ava tried another and heard that one key was missing a string. Ava pushed on and played a few notes.

"Twit twoo, twit twoo, I'm feeling every blue" she sang along in her head, chuckling slightly at her song choice.

Ava comtuied and played into a different song, one with a simpler melody.

"I didn't know you played" A voice made Ava jump away from her keys.
"Dr. Lathem" Ava said shyly, having not seen the man since he told her the news about Cornelius.
Dr. Lathem walked in the door and up to the bench. "May I?"
"Of course" Ava nodded, running her hands anxiously down her trousers.
Lathem continued the next few lines of the song before hitting dead key.
"There no string on that one" she said softly.
"Ah" he pursed his lips.
"When did you start playing?" He asked, turning to her.
"I danced when I was a teen, we had a piano there so I picked some things up" Ava fiddled with her fingers.
"Let's see" he started playing a piece.
"Do you know that one?"
Ava thought for a moment before following with the next few bars. They merged together, playing for four handed piece.

Ava exhaled contently as the song came to its end.
"How are you doing Dr. Bekker? I hope to have you back in my OR soon, if you wish to return to Gaffney"
"I didn't think you'd ever want to ever see me again after everything" Ava said into her lap.
"Why would I not want to never see you again?" He asked confused.
"I thought you'd be disappointed in me, think I was crazy" she picked at her finger nails.
"Metal health issues are very common Dr. Bekker, more so then people think. And you have repeatly impressed me both as a person and as a surgeon"
"You've have a very tough year, Ava" he awkwardly wrapped an arm around her.
Ava rested her head on his shoulder and they sat together on the piano bench in a knowing silence.

A/n: had to rearrange all the chapters in this book to squeeze it in 😣💪