Chapter 89- Spill

Ava was the first to wake the next morning gently removing herself from under Connor she made her way to the bathroom. Wiping her eyes she felt something silky brush against her cheek. Ava pulled her hand away to find a small band of white ribbon tied loosely around her finger.

Her hand was steady as she stared at the ribbon around her finger. She slid it off gently, holding it close to her chest she got ready for the day.

*

"Good morning" Ava smiled over her shoulder as Connor came into the kitchen. Rubbing his eyes as he went. Ava handed him a cup of coffee.
"Thank you" he gave her a half hug around the waist.
"That bad?" She touched his cheek.
"Mhm" Connor groaned, holding his head.

Ava plated a breakfast for the two of them.
"I haven't seen you that drunk in a while" she chuckled, tracing the edge of the plate with her thumb. "Do you remember anything from last night?"
Connor held his coffee in his hand, glancing at hers.
"No" he lied.
"Did I say something foolish?" He smiled.
Ava turned to him and placed his breakfast in front of him.
"You were very drunk" she repeated, picking at her food.

"Are you in work today?" He asked. For once wanting some distance.
"No" she shook her head, "you?"
"No" he confirmed, looking out the window.
"Do you want to go out then?" Ava suggested, knowing they didn't get much time together.
"No, I have some work to do. I'll be in the office" he said, putting his fork down after finishing his breakfast.
"Okey" she shrugged, knowing he often had to things for his family's company.
"I was going to go to the shops later"
He nodded but didn't say anything.
"I'll give you a shout when I'm leaving" she told him leaving the kitchen for the shower as Connor retreated to his study.

Connor's chest ached, he hated hiding in here, he was being cowardly. Connor wanted Ava's touch and words. He entertained himself with a game he had downloaded on his phone, practicing a few Duolingo lessons to keep up on his languages.
He could hear Ava on the other side of the door moving around the apartment. As quite on her feet as she was he tracked her movements. Hearing a soft thump or clinking of plates that let him know where she was. For a short while he heard her talking to someone, presumably on the phone. Taking long breaks before she replied to them.
He wondered what she was thinking or wearing? What her plans were at the mall. He ran his hand through his hair and looked out into Chicago through the floor go ceiling windows. He left the office, leaving the very minor task he had to do in place of Ava.

Ava was laying back on the sofa with her arm angled above her head.
"Hey" she smiled, looking away from the TV.
"Hey" he moved to the sofa. Ava bent one of her knees up and Connor lay between her legs, his head resting on her chest and his arms around her.
Avas hand naturally came to the back of his head, her fingers twisting through his hair.
"Is everything okey with your family?" She asked.
Connor looked to her puzzled.
"The work?"
"Oh yes" he stumbled, "it's all sorted"
She nodded and looked up to the TV.
"Who were you on the phone to?" He asked
"Oh just Nat"
"If you still need to go to the Mall, I'll go with you?" He offered.
"Okey" Ava agreed with a smile, not sure where this sudden freedom had come from.

They remind in the sofa for quite a while before leaving. They parted with a kiss and Ava got dressed, waiting in the living room for Connor.
"Are you ready to go?" She smiled, seeing him come in.
"Oh wait, I need to grab my watch from my nightstand"
"I'll get it" she offered. "I nee to grab my purse"
She returned a few moments later watch in hand.
"Here" she clasped it around his wrist for him, avoiding his eye.
"Thank you' he caught her chin, kissing her parted lips.
"You ready to go?"
"Yeah" she smiled, following after him.

Connor drove them, his hand resting on Ava's knee, her hand on top of his. He parked as close to the mall as he could, not wanting Ava to get cold.
They did some light shopping, Ava popping into a few places to window shop. Connor took mental notes of things she looked at for her upcoming birthday.

"How about we grab a coffee?" Ava suggested as they came out of the last shop.
"Sure" he agreed, taking her hand. They sat down at a quite coffee shop at the end of the mall. Connor got a latte for himself and coffee for Ava.
They chose a seat next to the window, looking out onto the oncoming clouds over Chicago.
"Looks like another storms coming"
"Mhm" Ava hummed worriedly, rolling her shoulders back she turned to Connor.
He moved to take her hand, knocking his coffee cup falling off the table and into Ava's bag.
"Oh, Shit" she breathed.
"I'm so sorry" Connor picked up the bag, inspecting the inside to see the damage.
They moved to the small restroom, emptying the contents onto the counter, drying off the coffee covered items and washing them in the sink.
Connor worked in the next sink over, scrubbing the stains out of her bag while Ava washed her things.

"I'm sorry, again" he sighed, "I should have been more careful"
"It's fine" she put a damp hand on his wrist, "it was a nice bag but I didn't buy it, my ex did"
"That makes me feel slightly better" Connor thought.
"I don't think that's going to come out" she sighed.
"I'll get you knew one" he said, making a note of the style and size.
"It's fine, Connor. Really. I have other bags"
Connor didn't respond but continued to silently dry her possessions, making sure their was no vanilla residue.

"At lest let me carry your things for you". Ava made no response.
"Are you okey?" He asked, noticing Ava's tensed stance.
"I'm fine, it's just work stress" she brushed it off, thinking back to her earlier phone call.
"C'mon, I'll buy you a new coffee. I don't have another purse for you to trash" she took his hand, leading him out of the bathroom with her dried coffee stained bag.
"I'm serious about getting you a new bag"
"Stay close, I have your phone and cards. I don't want to lose you" he told her.
Ava slipped her arm around his shoulders, lacing their fingers she kissed his cheek.
"Come on cowboy"