Chapter 20- 3am

"Hey Connor" Robyn smiled, placing a hand on his arm.
"Hi" he smiled, turning away from his monitor.
"I head what happened to Ava, is she okey?"
"Yeah she's doing well, I can't really say much else. Doctor patient confidentiality"
"Of course, anyway I'm heading home for the night. I was wondering if you wanted to get lunch tomorrow or dinner" she asked, still holding onto Connors arm.
"Yeah I'm pretty busy tomorrow but I should be able to get lunch"
"Okey, good luck on the night shift" she gave his arm a squeeze and kissed his cheek before leaving the ED.

"So are you a Robin giving it another try?" Halstead asked, passing him by.
"Oh em. No, not really. It's complicated"
"Dose she know that?" Will raised a eyebrow watching her leave.
Connor glanced up from his work uncertainly, "Yeah"
"Dr. Rhodes incoming" Maggie called, drawing him away from Conversation.

After dealing with three patients from separate car accidents Connor got a chance to do his rounds. Finding his way to the ICU without even realising it, Connor checked on a few patients that he had seen as part of their treatment before inevitably arriving to neuro ICU room 4.
Ava's eyes were open and she was looking down at her lap miserably and had bags under her eyes.
"What are you doing awake?" He asked, entering Ava's room further and checking his watch.
"It's 3am" He had expected Ava to be asleep and had planned on just watching her for a few minutes before retuning to the Ed.
"Can't sleep" she muttered, lifting her head weakly.
"I can give you something to help you sleep" he suggested, sitting on the edge of her bed.
"No...No I don't want to go back to sleeping pills" she said groggily but confidently.
"Can't wake up if I have a nightmare then" she whispered quietly, trying to keep her eyes closed.
"Okey, no pills. Got it" he said, readjusting the blanket over Ava's frame.

Connor move from her bedside and closed Ava's door, pulling the curtain as well for added privacy. He switched off the over head lights and sat on the bed next to her, "Here" Connor eased Ava's head onto his shoulder, wrapping an arm around hers.
"No, Connor. Someone could come in" she tried to shift away from him.
"No ones going to come in Ava, just try get some rest okey. I'll wait till you fall asleep" he rubbed her arm.
Ava nestled into his warmth, his touch, his family scent; Exhaling blissfuly Ava was out like a light in no time.

Connor waited till Ava was in a deep sleep to try move. Her hand was clinging to the neck of his shirt, her grip tighten when he tried to move.
Connor hushed her, running a hand through her hair. Getting up quietly he replaced himself with a spare pillow for Ava to lean on.
Connor watched her for a minute to make sure she wouldn't wake. She was out cold, her breath steady with a little smile on her face.
"Connor" she whispered quietly, to the point that Connor wondered if he'd imagined it. Opening the door a jar Connor slipped out, closing it again with a little tap.

When Ava woke the room was still dark around her. Her neck felt stiff and a bit of drool had escaped from the corner of her mouth. Removed her head from the pillow next to her, Ava recalled the events of this morning.
Turning her head, her gaze fell to the pillow next to her.
Did I image that Connor was this pillow and came here?
"Maybe I do need to go back to psych" she groaned to herself.
Turning her head to the side she inhaled over her shoulder, the familiar scent of Connor cologne filling her lungs.

She snapped her eyes open, smiling to herself her pulled the fabric of her hoodie closer to herself. A knock on the door brought her back from her thoughts.
"Dr. Bekker, good to see your awake" Sam greeted her, flicking on the over head lights.
"Sam" Ava groaned, rubbing her eyes with her hands.
"What did I say about getting used to light again"
Ava scowled up at him while he checked her fluids.
"What time is it?" She asked, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.
He checked his wrist, "four"
"Am?" She questioned.
Sam gave her a sideways look, "Pm, I don't do night shifts"
"Oh" Ava said in shock, "I slept 13 hours"
"Mhm, that is the life isn't it. Better enjoy it while you can"
"Get well soon Dr. Bekker" he said leaving the room.