Chapter 91- Ava's Farewell

"You're leaving!" Nat stormed into the Doctors lounge.
"Oh, yes I got an offer for Langone" Ava mistook her exclamation for anger.
Natlies arms were around her neck in an instant holding her friend close.
"Congratulations! Oh my god I can't believe it"
"Thanks Nat" she hugged her back.
"Tell me everything" she guided her to the sofa.
"Well I leave on Monday, and then they want me to start next Wednesday"
"Monday? Thats only a few days" Nat furrowed her brows.
"Yeah, they found an apartment for me, their covering part of my rent as well"
"Ohh, that's nice" Nat smiled.
"I'll have my own team. I'm looking forward to it, but I'll have to start saying my goodbyes" her smile faded.
"You'll be missed" she put a hand on Avas.
Ava looked over Nat's shoulder, spotting Connor at the nurses stationed. Natalie followed her gaze, "by many"

*

"Hey" Connor came up to Ava on the surgical floor. Briefly kissing the side of her head.
"Last day"
"Mhm" Ava hummed, getting a surprisingly sad feeling in the pit of her stomach.
"C'mon, I'll buy you lunch" he took her hand, not caring to hide their relationship on their last shift together. Ava leaned into him, her free arm touching his as they walked through the streets.

They came to a quite cafe a few streets over from med. Connor pulled Ava out a chair for her and she thanked him, taking a seat. They ordered lunch, their hands clasped together on top of the table, paying it no mind. They finished their lunch in silence, Ava tracing her thumb up and down the sides of Connors fingers in her hand.
Ava met his eye, "don't look at me like that" she requested softly.
"Like what?"
"Like you'll never see me again"
Connor took both of her hands in his, kissing him her held onto her hands. They walked back to met slowly, hand in hand. Ava stopped them a block away, pulling Connor into her arms she met his lips quickly. Connor wrapped his arms around her, returning the kiss he pulled back, planting a final one on her forehead.

They separate at the entrance to med, saying goodbye until the end of their shifts.

*

"Hey" Ava met him at the end of her shift.
"I'm sorry I'm late" she apologised, having left him waiting in the lounge.
"It's no problem, saying goodbye?" He asked, sitting up from the sofa in the lounge.
"Yeah, it's strange; saying goodbye" she confessed, pulling her bag higher on her shoulder. She had already cleared out her locker, bringing everything home.
"Ready?" He reached out his hand.
Ava looked around and took a deep breath, "yeah"

Connor drove them home, letting them into the apartment.
"Let me buy you a drink?" he offered after they'd taken off their jackets.
Ava furrowed her brows, "we don't go out for drinks?" She said sceptically. They rarely did, mostly drinking in the comfort for their apartment, of their arms.
"It's a special occasion, you offered to buy me one after my successes. Why shouldn't I return the favour"
"Okey" she agreed. The idea growing on her. They showered and changed out of their scrubs, With Connor's help she picked out a high neck backless black dress. She tied back her curls in a claw clip ponytail, keeping them out of her face she slipped on her jacket. Connor drove, glancing to her frequently in the passenger seat.

As they approached Molly's Connor stopped suddenly, pulling Ava back from view.
"You know how you always told me you hate surprise parties and to never throw you one" he took both of her hands.
"Yes...?"
"Okey well Nat, Maggie and April had other ideas and could not be stopped. So everyone from Gaffney is in here to say goodbye to you, but you have to act surprised or else they will kill me" he stressed.
Ava nodded and smiled, "okey"
They continued the last few meters to Molly's and Ava kept his hand, preparing herself. They stepped through the doors and the lights were off, and room was quite.
"Oh, Connor" she turned back to him, "I don't think-"
"Surprise!" The lights turned on and everyone cheered.
Ava gasped in shock, putting a hand to her chest and squeezing Connors hand at the loud noise. She relied Connors hand and stumbled found to find Nat's arms. Ava wrapped her arms around her friend who turned her around, Ava met Connors eye with a smile and winked. Connor shook his head and closed the door behind.