Chapter 47- Dear Ava,

"See you tomorrow guys" Connor said leaving the OR.
"Bye Dr. Rhodes"
Connor changed out of his scrubs and started walking out of the ED.
"Hey Connor, wait up" someone called behind him.
"Hey Will"
"There's a baseball match on in Molly's, some of us are heading down, you want to come?"
"Sure yeah" Connor knew he had to get out of the house more, he couldn't just mope around his apartment missing Ava.

Will drove him to the bar and they got there seats with Ethan, Kelly and Matt. They watched the game and Connor had a beer, he couldn't really follow what was happening even if he knew the game well. He wanted Ava, in his arms, by his side, between his knees, he wanted to have her back in his life.

Connor was brought away from his thoughts suddenly by the loud cheer, their team had won the game. He stood up to celebrate with everyone else, cheering like he had even watched the last few minutes of the game. They said goodbye to everyone and Will drove him home.

"So Ava" he started as they waited in a line of traffic.
"Yeah?"
"Is in South Africa" will nodded.
"She is, I'm serious" Connor said unconvincingly.
"Okey, well Nat misses her anyway. She doesn't think there's enough women when we watch our games. And Owen talks non stop about her"
"Well she'll be back soon" Connor grumbled.
"When's that?" Will pulled down Connors street.
"I don't know" he admitted quietly.
Will pursed his lips, still unsure of what had happened he took Connors hand and squeezed it. Connor rubbed his eyes and put on a smile.
"I'll see you tomorrow Will, thanks for the ride"
"No problem"

Connor walked into his apartment and set his keys down. The lights were off and the place was dead quite. The stove was off along with the TV, and there would be no blonde running to greet him. Connor set his bag down and walk to his office, he took out a pad of paper from his draw and a pen. Returning to the sofa with his writing equipment and a beer, he began.

Dear Ava,
                  It's day sixteen without you, I don't know why but I had some strange presumption that you'd be back to me by now, that this would all be done. I miss you, I've finally come to terms with why you decided to do this, and that it was your choice - I miss you regardless.

I miss your laugh, and your smile- the one with your little dimple on the left hand side. I miss our early morning chats in bed and the way your arms felt around mine. I miss touching your hair, checks and lips; I miss your eyes and eyelashes and how they looked into mine - I miss all of you.

I went to the grocery store, (or shops as you'd correct me), the other day and picked up two mangos for you. It wasn't until I got home that I realised you wouldn't be here to eat them. They stayed in the fridge for a day or two before I realised I had to do something with them and gifted them to April.

Everyone thinks you've gone back to South Africa to see your family, (again). One of these days I'll take you back to South Africa, you'll see, for real this time, and you can show me the mountains, the beaches and grouute schur, everything.

I miss operating with you, surgery isn't the same without our banter.

All my love,
Your cowboy

When Connor opened his eyes again dawn had broken over Chicago. He pulled himself up from the sofa to find his letter and a half drank beer. He took the letter and poured the beer down the sink. Returning to his office he took and envelope and sealed the letter inside. Dating it and addressing it to Ava, he dropped it into his desk draw and closed it.