The Foster

Imagine Harry is a single man who happens to be fostering a 16 year old girl, Maisie. She had been a little bit troubled in being rebellious and getting herself into mischief with the authorities. It was the fourth or fifth time she had been caught by the police and he had to go into the station to bail her out. He wasn't mad at her nor was he disappointed. He knew she was troubled and he wanted to help her and try to give her a life her parents nor any of the 12 different foster homes didn't give to her. He just hated seeing her like this, treating herself like her life wasn't worth valuing and that she felt wasn't valuable because she was. She was just dealt a bad hand of cards. It was a quiet drive home, she had thought he was disappointed in her. But he wasn't, he was just heartbroken for her.

They arrived at the house and walked inside. "Sit down on the couch please sweetheart.." Maisie hesitantly sat down. He sighs, "I think we need to talk." He says, she thinks he's telling her that she'd be sent to a new foster family. "You don't need to say it. I know what you're going to say..I'll have my bags packed by tomorrow morning." She says. "No, sweetheart. What are you talking about? That's not what I'm saying." He asks. "I was just thinking, I mean I'd understand if you wanted to call my social worker and have send me to my next foster home. Wouldn't be a first." She says. "Hey look at me, Maisie. You are not disposable. No one's gonna take you from this house. Okay? I promise you that, because my intentions, if you'll let me, are to adopt you." He confesses. "You want to be my dad?" She asks, Harry smiles as he nods. "Because these last 6 months with you. I've learned so much about you. Like your favorite food and color and how you don't like certain textures or sounds, that you struggle with dyslexia and OCD, that your favorite animal is an elephant. There's so much I've learned. I've learned to love you. I love you like you're my own daughter and I cannot—I cannot imagine life where you're somebody else's daughter and not mine." He tells her, she begins to tear up. "Oh love.." He brings his hand up to her cheek to wipe her tear. "I love you kid." He tells her. "I love you too, Dad.." She said, he tears up pulling her into a hug. That was his little girl now. She may be 16 but she would still be his little girl.