The heavy burden of a broken heart

*angst

3rd person pov:

The hashira sighed and held his head in his hands. His crow stared at him curiously before flying off, not bothering to care for its asshole-like master. His heart sank when he heard his crow announce the that the ravenette had refused to go on a mission with him again. It was the 4th time the master tried to reconcile the relationship between the two but the pain inflicted on the ravenette was too deep to heal. Guilt plagued the male's heart, he remembered the haunting cries of the ravenette that echoed in the hallways, he remembered the pain he saw in the ravenette's eyes and he remembered the endless tears that rolled down his cheeks. He regretted being such a dick to the ravenette, he is an asshole but to play with someone's feelings is straight up being a douchebag. He straightened up and clenched his fist, determination was set in his eyes as he headed to the kitchen.

...

The ravenette sat on his engawa, staring at the dark sky which drizzled down small droplets of clear liquid. A chilling breeze sent shivers up his spine, the cold seeping into his bones as he grimaced at the empty feeling in his heart. His eyes were dull, the once sapphire hue had darkened into a shade akin to black. His body lacked the firey warmth that trickled in his blood, he craved for the feeling of being cherished, he craved for a companion so that he wouldn't be lonely anymore, he craved for his beloved ex to love him back. The cup of tea he held in his hands had gone cold, mimicking the loss of warmth the ravenette has suffered from for the past two months. A cloud of sadness hung over him, pelting cruel words on his face the moment he woke up, reminiding him that no one would love his anti-social self every second of the day.

There was a loud knock on the door, breaking the ravenette out of his trance.

"Must be kanroji" he muttered as he staggered to the door, "didn't I tell her she doesn't need to check in on me yesterday?"

He sighed and opened the door, pausing as tears welled up in his eyes when he saw the culprit of his misery.

"Hi, tomioka..."

"Shinazugawa..what are you doing here? Don't you have a mission?" Giyuu mumbled, a lump formed in his throat and he felt a sickening wave wash over him.

"Obanai agreed to go on the mission for me. And um, I wanted to say sorry for what I did" sanemi muttered

Giyuu didn't reply, he stared coldly at the wind hashira.

"I know I'm an asshole but I promise I won't do it again" sanemi continued and he passed a bento box to the ravenette, "I made you your favourite — salmon and daikon"

"You were 2 months late" giyuu replied monotonously, staring at the bento in his hands. He could smell the familiar wiff of simmered daikon and pan-fried salmon which made his stomach churn with an unpleasant feeling.

"I'm sorry, I was an asshole"

"You played me like a fiddle"

"I'm really sorry about that, look, can we like, um, look past this?" Sanemi stumbled out. He hated the guilt that boiled in his heart, he hated the look of sadness in the ravenette's eyes, he hated seeing the ravenette cry in his dreams, he hated it and really wanted to move on from the incident.

"I believed you shinazugawa, I really thought you loved me"

"I know, I'm sorry about that but I'm not gay"