s e v e n

AXEL

“I'd be leaving early today.” I told the old man who happens to be the owner of the pizza shop where I work part time.

“Hospital?” He asked.

I scratched the back of my head. “No. There's this girl—”

He held his hand up in the air. “I won't deduct any penny. Go enjoy.” He gave me a small nod.

I whispered a gratitude and went to the carnival where she had asked me to come.

I found her already there waiting for me with two tickets in her hands. She smiled brightly and waved her hands. I walked to her and she was in pink top and denim shorts with her hair tied up in a pony.

“Am I late?”

“Nah.” She said, grabbing my arms and sliding a red band around my wrist. She did the same to her hands.

“Let's go.” She chirped like a happy bird.

Bright fucking lights. Loud music. Sizzling street food. Crowd. Laughter. Rides. Happy people.

I shoved an unsettling feeling down my throat and shifted my attention back to the girl who was now looking around in awe with a bright smile even though I can bet on my life that this isn't her first time here.

“You fancy all this?” I asked.

“You'll enjoy, trust me.” She smiled, grabbing my hands and pulling me to the rollar coaster. She bought tickets and soon we sat, adjusting the safety lock.

“Wanna hear a secret?” She said, gripping my wrist when the ride was about to start.

“Sure.”

“I'm scared of rides.” She screamed when it started.

I blinked, looking at her who by now was clenching her eyes shut and screaming curses to herself for getting on the rollar coaster. Her grip on my wrist tighten as she dug her nails and screamed everytime the ride went down.

Ripple of laughter erupted from my chest and I couldn't stop myself from not looking at her cute expressions.

“And I thought you fancy this.” I said to which she groaned.

I laughed throughout the whole ride. It was like I was having some nice dream where everything was blur expect this girl who was making me happy effortlessly.

And when it stopped, she jumped out of it. “Woah, it was crazy.” She said, trying to catch her breath.

“Should've picked a child ride or something.” I showed her my wrist which had her nail imprints.

Her eyes went to the merry go round and then to my wrist. “Don't worry I would've done the same.” She smiled making my heart flutter.

“Want to try that?” I pointed at the giant wheel.

She shook her head. “I'll end up puking and if I accidentally do it on your hoodie then you'll be having sent of my lavender detergent on it after I wash it.”

I smiled. “It doesn't sound that bad.”

“What? Me puking? And what if I end up doing that to your face instead of your clothes?” She laughed, clenching her stomach.

“Gross.” I couldn't stop myself from smiling at her over and again. 

She has this strange kind of energy around her. Something that I've never experienced before. Not from my own family.

This one time, I came here with Xavier and he threw up all over me. It was most embarrassing moment of my life because it was valentine's and the crowd was full of cute couples and here I was covered in vomit.” She told me, laughing even harder.

But oddly, I didn't find it funny. Xavier?

It would've funny if it wasn't about her boyfriend. Yet I forced a laugh to not let her know how fucked up I'm.

“Come on, buy me a cotton candy.” She gestured towards a stall that was selling them.

I nodded.

“What are you? Five?” I chuckled in amusement when she bought two cotton candies for herself and finished in a blink of an eye.

“Seventeen.” She pull out a bite and stuffed it into my mouth.

The taste of melted sugar rolled over my tongue and I really wanted to spit it out but I thought that it might offend her so I just somehow forced it down my throat.

“You don't like sugary stuffs?”

“No.” I replied, honestly.

“And what's your spice tolerance?”

“Don't care but I prefer mild food.”

She did something with her lips, not exactly pouting but something like that and it made me aware that she had applied shiny gloss and I wonder what it'd taste like? Strawberry? Pineapple?

“My spice tolerance is pretty high. Everytime Mum cooks south Asian food, my taste buds adapt to new level of spiciness.” She said.

“And what else do you like?” I blurted out. I really want to know more about her. I'm curious.

She walked to the lake side where the fireworks were bursting in the sky and we sat on the empty bench. She admired the fireworks and I secretly caught glimpses of her smiling face.