f o u r t e e n

AYLA

When I was a kid, I used to see the world from my colored binoculars which always shown me that the world I live in is full of vibrant colours. For me, red was the pretty dresses that I wore and black was shade of my hair.

I had my share of bad days but red was never blood for me nor the world seemed black to me. But I guess, it's not same for everybody. It's not same for Axel.

After, I saw him in that ring, beating someone to the core of their pain, I was horrified. For once, I thought that probably Xavier's right that I must stay away from him.

Same night, I cried myself to sleep. I've genuine feelings for Axel but it was impossible for not getting a strong heartbreak after witnessing him almost hitting someone to death. He seemed evil not just dangerous. It was like some ugly scene from my favourite movie that I never wish to see again.

And then, I didn't go to him next day. I didn't go to the auditorium for having a dance with him. I still haven't decided what to do, how to feel. I was so much overwhelmed with my feelings that ignoring him seemed better option. But when I saw him watching me across the football ground, I was unable to stop myself from ignoring him. Or maybe I didn't want him to feel that I was ignoring him. I didn't want to hurt him.

I was still scared about last night but seeing him so close to me, my heart reminded that he's the same boy; same Axel. But when I saw blood dropping out of his wounds, I realised that he wasn't the only one to hit someone else. He was in pain too. He too was beaten brutally.

I know I'm still unaware that why he fights in an underground fighting but if he's willingly putting his life on the edge of death then he might have strong reason for it. And it really makes me wonder that what kind of life has he been living?

I feel bad for him. I really feel bad for him. If given a chance then I'd do anything to make a little difference in his life. Maybe it's because of pity. Maybe I like him because I pity him but that's not the point here. The point is that I like him.

I pursued my lips together and walked inside the auditorium, finding Axel already there. He was smoking cigarette, staring out of the window. I cleared my throat to grab his attention and when he looked at me, he instantly rubbed the butt of ciggerate on the table and get on his feet.

“How are you?” I asked, scanning his wound which was obviously under his clothes.

“Good.” He smiled.

I knitted my eyebrows together. “You seem in a happy mood.”

“Yeah, fantastic mood.” He shrugged, all of sudden grabbing me by my waist and pulling him closer to him till my body collided against his.

A shiver ran down my spine but before giving me any chance to react, he spun me around. “What are you doing?” I breathed out.

“Dancing.” The sound of his laugh surrounded around me.

A big smile crept on my mouth when he spun me around, once again. “Someone did their lessons, huh?”

“I watched few YouTube videos.” He confessed, still the sound of his laughter echoing.

My heart danced along with my body and when he held my hands and we did a perfect slow dance with the sound of our laughter being the music. It was ecstatic. To forget everything but him, to hear the melodic sound of his laugh, to be near him, everything was ecstatic.

“Did something good happen to you?” I couldn't help but ask.

His eyes met mine but this time, he wasn't holding himself back. His eyes reflected that something good definitely happened to him. “Yes.”

“Tell me.”

“My mother, she's awake.” He whispered.

I looked at him in confusion. What does he mean by she's awake? “I didn't get it.”

His smile went wider. “She was in coma.”

Oh my God!

I stilled, freezing at my place. His mother was in coma?

I...I don't know what to say. He never mentioned this before. Oh my— I had no idea about it.

“Also, someone told me that you delivered food in place of me just to make sure that I get some good sleep.” He added, his smile never leaving his face.

I just nodded. I mean what am I supposed to say? He was trying to put up a facade of living a normal life when his mother was on hospital bed. I don't know for how long he was doing this? I can't even think that what he might've went through? My life would've turned upside down if I were in his place.

“Axel.”

“Yes.”

“Are you okay?” I asked.

He blinked, his smile drifting into thin air. “Yes.”

“I'm glad that your mother is fine now.”

He nodded.

“From where do you get all these bruises everyday, Axel?” I blurted out, my heart beating harder against my ribcage.

I know very well that he won't tell me the truth. After all, who am I to him? It's been merely few days since we met. I just asked him that to hear a lie from him. I will be okay with that. I'll make myself to believe in his lies so that next time, I see him covering in blood and bruises, I won't remember what I've seen that night.

“I fight for my life. People bet on my life, I win and get money. I'm an underground fighter. I can be the potential killer in the future or can get killed.” But instead, he told me the truth. His eyes not for once leaving mine as if he was waiting to read my reaction.

And surprisingly, I didn't have any reaction to give him. I already know that. I've already seen him doing that.

“Why in the world would you do that?” I asked, my voice getting hoarse.

But instead of answering me, he just kept staring into my eyes. “Aren't you disgusted? Scared of me? Aren't you going to run away and never look back?”

“I was there, Axel. I saw you in that ring.”

He locked his jaw and looked around, breaking the eye contact. “Oh....”

“I'm not disgusted by you, Axel.” I sighed.

“I fight for money.” He added, shrugging his shoulder.

A/N

Okay, so I've planned so much for this story. Do tell me in comments that so far what do you think about the story and the characters. Also, I'm so excited to turn Axel into villan. It'd be fun to write him. Right now, I'm just trying to develop a little plot between the MC & FC, slowly everything will begin.  <3