t h i r t e e n

AXEL

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I should have killed that son of a bitch. He gave me pain that's not subsiding even after taking couple of painkiller injections. Clutching my stomach, I walked inside the gate of school. On normal days, I often skip school next morning after the fight but this foreign sensation in my abdomen made it absolutely impossible for me to ditch this shitty place. The thought of Ayla just keeps on drilling inside my mind all the time.

I didn't bother to attend any classes, just went straight to the auditorium and grabbed a seat to lie down and compose the burning pain on the side of my stomach. After few minutes, the door flew open and in no time, my heart fluttered with excitement. I hastily stood up but it wasn't her.

Two girls walked upto me. I'm not sure if I've seen them before or not but it just fucked up my mood. I was waiting for Ayla not some shitty rich brats.

“Hey, Axel.” One of them spoke.

“Piss off.” I said, not bothering to hear anything from her.

“I-I was wondering if you'd like to—”

“No.”

“Atleast hear me out.”

I didn't say anything and sat back to the seat and closed my eyes. I can't deal with all this when every inch of my body is bursting with pain.

I stayed in the same position for hours, waiting for Ayla. I looked at the time and found that she was late by two hours. It felt weird to not see her here, asking me to dance or talk about anything.

Did she not come to school today?

I get up on my feet and went out to look for her. I wasn't sure about her classes but somehow, I found her in the soccer ground. She was on the bleachers, watching the practice match.

I stood at a distance from her and watch her clapping when one of the boy kicked a goal.

Okay.

Is she here for her boyfriend?

I was about to go back when her eyes fell on me. She stared at me for a brief moment before she jogged to me.

“Uh, Hey....” She waved.

It wasn't hard to not notice the change in her behaviour. She was acting distant.

“I guess I should leave." I whispered realising that she wasn't looking into my eyes.

My chest felt heavy with sudden shift of emotions and it was weird. I wanted to know if I did something or fuck, I feel like throwing up.

“My god, Axel. You're bleeding.” She almost screamed, looking at the side of my stomach.

I raised my brows and shifted my focus and realised that I might have not dressed the wounds properly. Blood was soaking out of my hoodie.

Her eyes dilated in worry and without giving me any chance to say something, she tuggs my wrist and dragged me out.

“Wait here, I'll bring the car keys from Selena.” She whispered and rushed back inside.

I touched the wound and hissed when a sharp pain inflicted from it.

In no time, she came back, panting with her backpack and keys. “Come, let's go to the hospital.”

“I'm okay. It's just a small bruise, it'll heal on it's own.” I said.

She opened her mouth to say something but then closed it. She held my wrist again and gestured me to sit inside the car.

Turning on the engine, she drove straight to the hospital. After the doctor checked my wounds, he applied few stitches and prescribed antibiotics and pain killer. When he asked me that from I got all the bruises, Ayla spoke before me. She told him that there were some college boys with whom I had a fight.

“Let me drop you off at your home. Get some proper rest.” She crossed her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes.

“Ayla.”

“Mhmm.”

“Is something bothering you?” I asked.

She blinked, shaking her head in denial. “I was just stressed. Family issues.”

Oh.

The heaviness in my chest started fading away. She wasn't purposely ignoring me.

What am I supposed to say at her mention of family issues? I'd be the worst person to talk anything about it. “What about our dance?” Instead, I asked to avoid the topic.

“I was wondering when are you going to buy me blueberry cupcakes again?” She asked with a shy smile.

“Now.” I breathed out, fighting the huge grin on my face.

She rolled her eyes a little and then asked me to get inside the car. “I mean, get better then you know..Uh..we can go on another date.” She whispered.

My chest will definitely burst open in excitement. “Okay.”

“Okay.”

I don't know about anything but this girl, right here, next to me, she's making me crazy. 

***

“Two pizza for the table number six.”
From inside the kichen, a voice came to me.

I nodded and served the order to the customers. Right now, there's no order for takeout, so I'm free. Just serving the pizza to the tables till the phone rings and then the actual work starts.

“Son, come here.” The old man calls me.

“Yes.”

“Here's your salary.” He gave me an envelope.

I took it from him and stuffed it inside my pocket. “Are we not getting any orders today?” I asked.

He fixed his glasses and shrugged. “Wait for an hour, you'd regret saying that.” He laughed.

I nodded.

“Oh, and how is your girlfriend?”

I looked at him, confused. “Who?”

“The girl who came here. What was her name....Oh, yes, Ayla. How is she? Such a sweet girl.”

“You know her?” I blurted out, not getting anything.

“She came here to work instead of you. That day when I called you not to come.”

“She worked here?”

“Yes, she delivered food in the rain. She's a keeper, son.” He smiled through his wrinkles.

She suffered cold and fever because of this?

Why? Why would she do that? 

And then my I remembered what she told me that day in the bar.

She was trying to make me happy? I told her that I like to sleep and that's why she did this? All this for me?