t w e n t y - n i n e

AYLA

Once the doorbell rang, I went on to open it, and what I saw next made my eyes wider in shock.

What in the hell is this?

Tens of men in black suits with guns in their hands stepped inside my house and stood. My body froze in fear and with palpitating heart, I took a step back before one of them pointed the gun at me and held me by my neck against the wall. I struggled to breathe, clenching my eyes shut in fear.

What's happening?

"Leave her, she's no harm." A familiar voice echoed into my ear and I was put back on the floor. I gasped for air and wiped my tears, trying to get back on my feet but the fear made it impossible. I found Nate looking at me. Don't tell me that he told the man to let me go? Why would they listen to him? He's merely a teenager.

I pushed saliva down my throat and realized that all the men in the room seemed dangerous and scary. This is some sick nightmare, isn't it?

"Don't worry. No one will harm you." Nate said to me.

I looked at him dumbfounded. Getting little strength, I get up and was about to ask him what was going on before a man walked inside.

My vision was blurry with tears so at first, I couldn't get a clear fiction but after he came close to Nate and scanned for his bruises, I could get a clear picture. Sweatpants, black t-shirt, finely chopped hair, clean stubble, and sharp jawline. And the familiar blue eyes.

My heart fell deep into the pits of my stomach. No, this couldn't be true. This doesn't make any sense.

"Axel?" I blurted out in disbelief and that's when his attention turns to me.

His eyes met mine and everything around me stilled. I was quickly thrown back to the flashes of the past right from the start when I first dance with him to my first kiss with him. The feelings buried in my chest exploded all of a sudden and everything that I've tried to forget for so long started invading me back.

He blinked, his eyes not believing either.

He's here. He's in front of me. He's out of jail. He's alive.

"Ayla." He breathed out, his expression breaking straight through his face.

I couldn't help but take steps closer to him. I touched his face to make sure that this isn't some kind of delusional dream but his skin felt warm against the cold tip of my fingers.

As soon as I touched his cheeks, he closed his eyes and I can literally see the goosebumps rising on his neck.

I licked my dry lips and ran my eyes all over him again. He had a cotton bandage around his head which was soaking with fresh blood. Apart from that he still looks the same. Still the same.

A smile was about to be created on my face when I realized something. I realized that his eyes weren't the same. They hold so much darkness in them and that's when I was thrown out of my utopian world.

My mind started playing pictures of the day when he killed his own father. The day when he was arrested for stabbing his father multiple times. And instantly I pulled my hands to myself. Bile rises to my throat and I quickly maintained a distance from him.

Seeing my reaction, he took a step back on his own but his eyes didn't leave me.

Why I'm happy to see him? Why I'm happy that he's fine?

I wanted to ask him what happened to him. Who in the world are these people and who's Nate to him? I wanted to ask how did he manage to get out of jail and why did he kill his father? I wanted to ask him so many things but I didn't. I didn't because none of it matters now.