f o r t y - f o u r

AXEL

When it wasn't her, there was also no shine in the stars.

Lighting up the cigarette, I looked at the sky. I almost forgot my fascination with clear sky. It's been so long to even remember the last time when I sat under the open sky and stared at the stars that shone brighter than my existence.

It was as if the distance from her made all the bright things lose their spark.

Maybe it was my eyes, maybe it was the world or maybe it was always her.

Inhaling nicotine down my throat, I rested my head against the floor. The cool breeze of summer's night scented like Ayla.

She kept on talking with me till she fell asleep. I wanted to look at her beautiful face but then I thought that I'd creep her out once she wakes up. So, after pulling the comforter over her, I came to the terrace.

"Boss." Nate's voice echoed and I turned my head to see him.

His face was devoid of any emotions and even if it had any, I doubt I'd be able to read it. "I'm fine." I answered to his unasked question.

He gave me a short nod and struggled either to leave or stay. Isn't it weird to have him by my side twenty four - seven yet we rarely exchange a word? My mind went back to what Ayla said to me that apologizing to Nate will fix things.

"Sit." I said and without wasting a single second, he sat on the floor, fixing his eyes on the sky. 

My throat constricted to say something out loud but then it isn't easy to communicate.

"I'm not going to work for Armando any more." Instead I ended up saying this.

He clamped his hands together and nodded. "Are you going to abandon me?"

"No." I replied.

"And what about Dr. Ayla?"

"I'm a lucky bastard, you see." I chuckled. "But I'm undeserving. She's...I mean...She told me that she loves me." I swallowed a thick lump down my throat and a sudden nausea hit me hard in the stomach.

Love.

Is she really capable of loving a monster;  a fucker who's mentally unstable?

When I was so sure that it's better just to die, she came to with a bright smile and told me that she is in love with me.

I don't know about love, I'm not sure of what it means to love another person what I'm very well aware is that it must be something pure and innocent. Just like her. Just like her warm heart and soft smile. Just like her pretty eyes and comfortable arms.

I really want to try for her. I want to become a better person for her. I want to protect her heart and keep it safe from every heartbreak. I know I'm not worth enough to be the man she needs in her life but I really want to try.

"Nate, if we've to start everything from the beginning, what do you think about it?" I asked, exhaling a deep breath.

"I don't know, Boss. Never thought about it before. Since the day you saved me, I've been living just the way you do." He shrugged his shoulders.

My lips twitched in discomfort. "Don't become me."

"Why not? You're the only living person I know in this shitty world. I will always be indebted to you."