t h i r t y - t h r e e

AYLA

I opened my mouth to say something but before that, my eyes fell on a woman walking out of the kitchen. I knitted my brows in confusion. She carried a tray full of breakfast to the nearest couch where a girl hardly of four or five years was sitting with a T.V. remote in her hands. She was watching some cartoons and once she saw the woman, she jumped off the couch and hugged her legs. "Yay, Mommy. I was so hungry." She squealed.

The woman smiled at her daughter and gave her the breakfast tray. After doing so, she bends down to pick a baby from the crib.

I swallowed a thick lump down my throat at the sight and my palms started sweating. My heart fell deep into the pits of my stomach. Is she Axel's wife? They are his kids?

Why I'm feeling this uneasiness in my chest? I should be happy for him, right? Then why this strange jealousy for that woman?

"No, Ayla. She's not my wife nor the children." He said as if he can read my brain.

"Then?" I asked, shamelessly.

"She's the wife of someone I know." He replied.

I nodded, relief washing down my heart.

"I-I'm sorry for...You know....please be my guest every evening. We can continue with the sessions." I blurted out.

He looked at me in confusion but nodded nevertheless.

"You can stay if you want." He said in a hesitant voice.

I licked my lips and nodded. God, why this is so uncomfortable?

I smiled at the little girl who was eating her breakfast and my stomach grumbled making the situation more embarrassing for me. I should've eaten something.

"I...I made some extra breakfast. Would you like to..?" The woman whom I mistook as Axel's wife asked.

Sure, the food smelled great and if I don't eat anything then my stomach keeps on making embarrassing noises and it'd be rude to decline her offer.

"Sure." I smiled.

She quickly went to the kitchen and after a few minutes, decorated the whole dining table with breakfast. My eyes widen in surprise. Did she prepare all this alone? Woah!

"Have you eaten?" I asked her.

She shook her head.

"Come then please join us," I said to which she sat hesitantly next to me.

Axel and Nate both sat across the table.

I took a bite of the sandwich and couldn't stop myself from moaning at the taste. "It's delicious. Do you like cooking?" I asked, trying to initiate the conversation.

She looks so terrified for God knows what reason. And she's so pretty. With red hair and blue eyes, she can knock out any model.

"Yes." She replied. "Cooking c-calms me down." She added.

I took another bite of the sandwich and realized that she was continuously rubbing her fingers and tapping her right leg on the floor. She's anxious.

"If you don't mind me asking, is there something that's bothering you?" I asked.

Her eyes snapped in my direction and she frowned a little. "I-I....I've never been alone; without Armando. I...I'm scared." She whispered in a barely audible voice.

I looked at Axel who made a face. He was about to roll his eyes in annoyance when he same me and quickly composed a neutral face. Then he told me a whole deal about the Armando guy. That he's the most dangerous head of a mafia and his own family wants to kill his wife and children.