f o u r t y - t w o

AYLA

"Ayla, what the fuck is wrong with him?" Tyler's voice echoed in my ear and all I did was to stare at Axel in shock.

He was laughing continuously, holding his head in his hands and at the same time, his face was twisting in complex emotions. The sound of his laugh irked my heartbeat and something didn't feel right about it. I wanted to go to him and wrap my arms but it was as if my body was reluctant to take any step. I hate to admit but it was scary; the way he was behaving was scary.

My breath caught up in my throat when he screamed in pain, fisting his hair and cursing himself. He didn't look like a sane person anymore.

He was okay just a moment before. We were watching TV, it was comfortable around him. He was checking flight tickets to take me to my grandmother's house. Just a moment before, I was excited about showing him my country and flexing about my culture and food. Just a moment before, I was wondering what should we eat for breakfast. Just a moment before, I was getting butterflies in my stomach when I had rested my head on his shoulder.

I bit on my lower lips till it started bleeding to stop myself from crying but seeing him in this state, I don't know my mind is not working properly. I don't know what to do. I don't know anything.

But then his eyes met mine for a second and he stopped laughing. My heart dropped to my stomach and I was about to take a hesitant step to him before he shook his head.

"Told you, my mind is beyond redemption." He passed me a sad smile and with that he fell unconscious.

Nate rushed to him and somehow managed to get him to his room. I blinked my tears away and I don't know what happened to me that I turned around to slap Tyler harder on his face. He was taken back but he kept his mouth shut.

"So, you were with me for all those years because you knew that Axel's your step brother, isn't it? You stayed with me so that you can hurt him, don't you?" I asked.

"I-I....What's wrong with him? Why he was acting like that?"

"You mean what makes him special?" I spat. "If something happens to him, I swear Tyler I'll make your life hell." Adding, I turned to my heels and rushed to Axel's room.

Once I saw him, laying unconscious on the bed, my heart broke thousand times. I went to him and sat on the edge of the bed. Ruffling his hair, I leaned to place a kiss on his forehead. Matelic taste of blood and his sweat lingered on my lips making me realise the gravity of the situation. I don't know how he's going to react once he wakes up?

I wished to protect him the world and make him happy but why everytime I try to do so, something comes in between? Had I know about Tyler, I would've tried to protect Axel from me but I had no idea that they're related to each other.

I can't wrap my mind around what Tyler said to him. It was too much to take. I don't even have energy to think about Tyler or the things he said when Axel's in this condition.

I don't know for how long I've been seated in the same position when his eyes started flickering.

"Axel?" I breathed out his name.

He blinked several times, trying to ignore the bright light. I leaned closer to him to block the light and once he was comfortable enough, he looked at me. His eyes turning softer for a brief second before he stared at the ceiling. "I saved you, Ayla. I saved you from them." He whispered to himself and then his lips broke into faintest of laughter. "I better kill them. No, I must kill them all."

"Axel? I'm right here, whom are you talking to?" I said in confusion when I realised that he wasn't bothering my presence at all.

"Ayla, get away from him." Nate's voice boomed into my ears.