Chapter 26

ZACH

"Still, I can't understand why you couldn't tell me the truth. After listening to Papa, I can understand how difficult it must have been for you to come out, but the fact still remains- why couldn't you tell me?"

Ugh! Now this is getting annoying! Why is he being a crybaby!

I was about to say something when Ben pressed his foot on mine. It was light so I didn't squeal.

"Because it was hard. To accept myself and my heart. It was too huge for me to think about anything else. I am sorry, that's all I can say."

I followed Ben back in the house. I sat down, but Ben, picked up his bag and left. Ashok uncle had his eyes on us. He insinuated me to follow him.

I picked my things and told the crowd, "Guys, I am leaving. Once again, happy anniversary to both of you. Mum & Dad, I'll go."

I rushed out of the house, "Ben! Wait for me!" I ran to catch up with Ben, who was dragging his bag, lost in thoughts.

I nudged him, "Ben, what happened? Why did you just leave?"

"Huh? Jamey might be alone at home. I should go."

I held him, "Ben, talk to me."

He looked down, "Zach, we are doing the right thing, aren't we?"

Idiot!

I hit his head, "Don't be stupid. Nitin is acting like kid. Is he our father? Why do we need to tell him everything?"

Ben still looked like a flattened balloon. I held his hand and pulled him to our bike.

"Don't worry. It will be fine." I gave him a short reassuring hug. "Get on."

"Ben, why don't we listen to some music? It will keep me awake while driving."

He nodded, pulled out his earphones, put one bud in my ear and another in his own.

One of my favourite songs was playing. I nudged him, "Why don't you sing along? Might help to lift your mood."

"I don't want to. I would prefer you doing the singing."

"Come on. I'll join you." Instead, I started.

"......Umar ka ye taana baana samajh na paaye re

Jubaan pe jo moh-maaya, namak lagaaya re

Ke dekhe na, bhaale na, jaane na daayere

Disha-hara, Kyamon boka- monta re....."

I took a pause, waiting for him. It didn't take him long to join along.

"Fateh kare kile saare, bhed jaaye diwaare

Prem koi sendh laage....

Agar-magar, baari-baari, jiya ko un uchaale

Jiya nahi gend laage

Maati ko ye Chandan sa mathe pe sajaaye re

Jubaan pe jo moh-maaya, namak lagaaye re

Ke dekhe na, bhaale na, jaane na daayere

Disha-hara, Kyamon boka- monta re....." {1}

And so, we sang all along the way.

Ben seemed better when we reached home.

"Feeling better? Do you want me to stay for a while?"

"No. go back and tidy the house. Your mother might collapse after looking at the condition of kitchen!"