Chapter 42

BEN

I would say my trip to Chennai was a heavy dose of Anaesthesia. Yet, I don't regret coming here. I realized the value of some important aspects of my life, and it made the time worthwhile. We came back from the trip, exhausted and tired. I and Venu were even more pitiful, since we had to travel back, again!

The day of departure dawned on us. I woke up with a heavy heart, unhappy that I had to leave him behind, yet again. He was sleeping beside me, and I couldn't help but stare at his face. The face I remember like it's carved in my mind, yet leaves a yearn to see the real version. I pecked his forehead, and patted his head.

And then, he opened his eyes, "Shit!!"

I laughed and apologized, "Sorry! Did I scare you?"

"Obviously! Why are you staring at me like a lurking ghost?!"

"I was staring at my boyfriend. I won't be able to see him."

He sighed. A series of coughs and he looked at me, "Don't worry about that. You don't need to miss me now."

He reached for the side-table, opened a drawer, pulled out some papers and handed them to me. I read what it was and hugged him tight.

"You made my day, love. Thank you so much!!"

I couldn't believe my eyes. What he gave me was a transfer letter from his office and title deed of a flat. Zach was moving back to Goa! The relief I carried back home was so overwhelming, I cried out my heart in the flight restroom.

(One month later)

Why does he have so much stuff!!

We were unpacking Zach's luggage and setting up his house. Even after making lots of requests, Zach insisted on moving here.

Why did he have to buy a new one when we already have two?? He could have lived with me and Aunt, or he could have lived at my old house. But who could convince his smart ass!

Zach was coughing the entire time we were arranging things.

"I told you that I'll put up your bedroom. It was dusty. When you know you are allergic to dust, why insist on doing such stunts?"

"It's fine na baba. We are done with..."

Aachoo!

"Why don't you lie down for some time? A nap would help you recover."

With teary eyes and a running nose, Zach replied, "I think I should. Can you do the rest?"

"Sure, my boy. Have some rest."

I covered him with a thin rug and patted him to sleep. I quietly arranged some of the stuff, avoiding moving the ones which would make noise.

I'll have to buy some food for the night, it seems.

I took my wallet, bike keys and rushed out to buy something, careful not to wake him up.

Should I ask Aunt Joe to cook us something? That would be great!

I searched for my phone and realized that I had left it at home!

Leave it. I'll just tell her directly.

With immediate effect, I started my bike and dashed towards the decided destination.

Zach will be happy to have this food.

"Hello, my sunshine! Are you back from Chennai?"

"Yes, Aunty. And I am back with a gift for you, one you would die for."