Chapter 52

ZACH

Ben was true to his words. I heard nothing about him from no one I knew. Not even Krish was ready to speak. I didn't know whether to feel happy or anxious about this. I lived my life with everything I had once, but with the exception of Ben. I regularly met my friends; and it was surprising how I never bumped into Ben- even once. As if everyone knew what happened between us.

Even with my daily precautions and medications, I could hardly maintain myself in good condition. Slowly and steadily, the disease ate me, and I kept battling against it. My duration of oxygen therapy increased, and work time reduced. I didn't know how to manage funds anymore. I was at loss financially, physically, and mentally. Anxiety started engulfing me, and the time I spent with Krish increased. Still, I didn't hear about Ben.

"Can I ask you something, Zach?"

"Sure."

"You spend your entire day here. How are you surviving?"

I smiled, "With the help of your company. I am alive because of you."

"Shut up, asshole. If you don't want to answer, so be it. And you don't need to come here from tomorrow."

"Woah, woah. Cool down, tigress. It's not like I am jobless. I do take individual assignments, the ones which pay more."

"Nobody objects this in your office? Why would anyone tolerate such casual behaviour at workplace?"

I just shrugged my shoulders, "I just pocketed my boss, that's all you need, darling."

"I have some investments and savings as well. I am thinking of shifting to desk job in my office. Like editing and coloring."

"It means you have plans in hand. I thought you have given up on life."

I smiled. I have not given up on life; rather life has given up on me.

Just then, Krish's phone buzzed, and she went outside to receive it. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I could hear the conversation faintly.

"Here with me....."

"Fighting? Why?"

"I'll talk......."

"............in 20 minutes."

After like 10 minutes, she returned, face full of shock and worry. When she looked at me, she hid it all and covered her face with her normal façade. I didn't bother to question.

"I'll get going, before you chase me out. I won't be coming in this week- I have an assignment."

"Thank God! Well, meet you in coming week!!"

What's going on? Was it Ben? Who is he fighting with? Should I stay to check if he is coming here?

But then, I dropped the idea. What was I going to achieve by staying here? Even if I see him, I was not going to approach him. Eventually, I returned back home. I had something for lunch and decided to take a short nap. After a while, my bell rang. I opened the door and found someone surprising at my door.

"Venu? Come in. How come you visit me today?"

She entered the house with a pleasant smile on her face.

"All good?", I asked her as I served her a glass of water. She drank few sips and asked in returned, "Are you fine?"

I found the question funny, but her tone was somewhat harsh.

"Yep. Had few days of leave. So, yes, I had a good break."

She looked at me, eyes boring at my face. I started feeling uncomfortable.