PART 18

Nevermore High.

My eye-bags are heavy and dark as I walk through the hallways of Nevermore High school. I haven't slept a wink last night because of my phone's insistent vibration and blinking with the same text every 5 minutes. Honestly how did Wednesday manage to stay up the whole night? And not just that--but text all night.

Did she like leave her phone on auto-pilot and keep repeating the same message until I reply? Because god, was I tempted to tell her to stop saying sorry.

Stopping by my locker, I groan at the sketchy
sounds of squeaky shoes echoing through the halls and the noises of mindless chatter. I lean forward and feel my body give up as I lean my forehead against the cool metal of my locker. I really want to sleep right now and I'm considering going to the clinic to fake a bad cold. But who am I kidding? I'm a terrible liar.

The noise goes down and it reminds me that classes are about to start. I huff and frown, wondering where Max is for our usual meet up but ignore it as I kick myself off the wall and clumsily walk to the direction of my first class--well drag my legs is more accurate if you ask me.

"Are you okay?"

My body stiffens at the sound of her voice coming from behind me, I nearly step on my own feet and fall down if I weren't already walking slow enough. I gulp and clear my throat, my blue orbs nervously looking around my surrounding so as to calm down my beating heart as I bite my inner cheek and walk faster, ignoring her completely.

A scoff is being resonated to my ears.

"Aw, come on." She huffs and I hear her feet
following close behind me. What day is it today?
Oh right, Monday- we have the morning classes
together, fuck.

I almost stop walking because why is she talking
to me in front of the student body when I realized mostly everyone disappeared to their respective rooms already.

"Can you stop walking? why the hell you are so fast with that small legs and whatever but slow down, I'm a grandma when it comes to walking." She whines and I roll my eyes when I imagine her pouting and crossing her arms at me.

See? She hasn't changed. I turn a corner and grip my books tight to my chest as I curse at whoever principal we have in this school for making my locker far from my first Monday class.

"Ugh, okay -I'm sorry!" she yells, causing my feet to stop moving as I stay frozen but decide not to turn to her.

I feel her exhale. "Well of course you know I'm
sorry, I've been texting you about a million times." She hisses, causing me to frown deeply and huff.

Still the same.

So with that in check, I adjust my backpack
and continue walking down the empty hallway,
counting the time before class starts. I'm never a
latecomer.

"What? What did I say?" she asks, her voice getting near me.

Wednesday is such a baby.

Iignore her fully, trying to shut her out of my ears when I feel her grab my arm and spin me around, making my eyes bulge at the action. I almost pity her when I see how even darker and bigger her eye-bags were, it looked like she hadn't slept for a week.

She notices me staring and frowns, pale hands
coming up to shield her face from me. "I understand that I am not in my normal hot state right now so please don't judge me." She whispers, peeking at me through the holes of her fingers.

I bite my lip and duck my head down, playing with the tip of my shoes.

"Okay, listen--I said I was so--"